The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

3 Adult Dicamptodon in 3 Days

This is a discussion on 3 Adult Dicamptodon in 3 Days within the Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I just wanted to notify everyone that I found 3 adult Dicamptodon tenebrosus in Humboldt County, CA in 3 days. ...

Pacific Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon) Found only in the Northwest of the United States of America, the (currently) 4 species of this genus are the largest and heaviest land-living salamanders in the world.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path
Default 3 Adult Dicamptodon in 3 Days

I just wanted to notify everyone that I found 3 adult Dicamptodon tenebrosus in Humboldt County, CA in 3 days. With the amount that I've found over the past 5 yrs. (2), this seems very significant.

Aneides

Old 1st March 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: 3 Adult Dicamptodon in 3 Days

Any pictures? Were they neotenic/paedomorphic? People say that Dicamptodon tenebrosus can be 1ft in length or more, but I've never seen a picture of one being measured.

Old 1st March 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: warrior has shown reliable knowledge

Great find,my herping partner found 1 on a hillside while herping in northern CA years ago.It was huge and very cool.We also saw one in an open log but it was too far inside to catch.The neotonic ones are easier to find especially the babies.

warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thats a pretty amazing streak. I usually only find one or two adults a year, almost always in springtime.

Jaymes, they get quite big. Largest I've ever found was 13" under the woodpile at my father's house in Sonoma County. Most I find are 8-11".

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Aneides has started on the right path

Unfortunately, I cannot find the pictures immediately, but I do have pictures of 2 of the 3 animals. One specimen was found under a piece of large bark, and within 5 seconds, ran with lightning speed into a hole. All of the specimens found were true, terrestrial adults. All were found north of Eureka.

Aneides

Old 20th March 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: hydromdusa has shown reliable knowledge

Biggest I've found was ~ 21cm. Would love to one day find a 1 footer!

Click the image to open in full size.

LinkBack