The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Seeking Protohynobius description paper

This is a discussion on Seeking Protohynobius description paper within the Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Does anyone have access to original paper describing genus Protohynobius : Fei L, Ye C. 2000. A new hynobiid subfamily ...

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th April 2006   #1 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does anyone have access to original paper describing genus Protohynobius: Fei L, Ye C. 2000. A new hynobiid subfamily with a new genus and new species of Hynobiidae (Amphibia: Caudata) from West China. Cultum Herpetol. Sinica 8: 64-70.

If someone could send me a PDF (or other digital) copy of it, I would highly appreciate it. My e-mail is joonas@sammakkolampi.net.
Or if only paper versions are available, I'm specially interested on etymology on the name Protohynobius. Why it is called just Protohynobius? There on the original paper should be some explanation for the name.

Old 24th April 2006   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: wouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwouter is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think I've got a pdf of that article Joonas... I'll look it up for you.

wouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2006   #3 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank You Wouter!
I'll wait for Your mail.

Old 6th May 2006   #4 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It was not the paper I'm looking for Click the image to open in full size. Wouter mixed it with something else. So if anyone happen to have copy of that Protohynobius paper, Im still interested.

Old 8th September 2006   #5 (permalink)
houmian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

In Chinese meaning Protohynobius is primordial salamander, Proto is from archaic language of Greece ,derivation word is "prš*tos".

Old 10th November 2006   #6 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting HouMian on Friday 08 September 2006 - 05:16 (#POST105529):</font>

In Chinese meaning Protohynobius is primordial salamander<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Thanks for this info. I'm still wondering why? Why is this genus called primordial salamanders? There must be some reason.

Old 13th November 2006   #7 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm now (partly) answering to my own question: Paper can be found at http://texas.amphibiatree.org/?q=node/232 (See zip file at the bottom of the page.)
It is mostly Chinese, with only short English summary.

If someone is able to read the paper, and finds out why genus is called Protohynobius, I'm still interested.

(Message edited by Joonas on November 13, 2006)

Old 14th November 2006   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi Joonas.

I'm told by an amphibian researcher that it may be because the bone structure of this species appears to be of ancient lineage. Let's see what the description paper has to say Click the image to open in full size.

(Message edited by TJ on November 14, 2006)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2006   #9 (permalink)
houmian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Joonas, the key of you want is this species have a especial frame of it's head bone, a internasal between in right-and-left nasal, this characteristic always only known from fossil species when they found this guy. And except this species all about another living species have not this character, so author believe this character is primordial and naming"prš*tos".

Old 21st November 2006   #10 (permalink)
joonas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thousands thanks to you Tim and especially HouMian!

Old 20th June 2011   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Seeking <i>Protohynobius</i> description paper

And five years later...

I could use the original description as well. I have the 2011 paper redescribing the species as Pseudohynobius puxiongensis. While the original name was given because of bone structures considered ancestral in salamanders, it is now believed that the trait is variable and the animal it was applied to was unusual for the species. I hope to have the 2010 paper on the rediscovery of the species shortly.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogEyes View Post
I hope to have the 2010 paper on the rediscovery of the species shortly.
Awesome! Just got it. Now just hoping for the original description, while waiting on descriptions of P.shuichengensis and P.guizhouensis.

Old 5th August 2012   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Incidentally...ths species was relocated. The internasal bone is considered an anomally, and the species was transfered to Pseudohynobius. Neither Protohynobius nor Protohynobiinae are considered valid now. I believe the internasal has also been found in some Hynobius specimens as well [yes - H.maoershanensis].

http://elab.sysu.edu.cn/elab/wp-cont...al-genomes.pdf

ahr

Tags
description, paper, protohynobius, seeking

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 16th September 2017, 17:20 (Set) (Clear)

chabbu
LinkBack