The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Anyone in America keep Liua shihi?...can anyone sex these?

This is a discussion on Anyone in America keep Liua shihi?...can anyone sex these? within the Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have 2, but I believe they are both males. can't notice a vent difference nor a body type difference ...

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th February 2008   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 0
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Anyone in America keep Liua shihi?...can anyone sex these?

I have 2, but I believe they are both males. can't notice a vent difference nor a body type difference between the two. Any one got photos of sexable differences? Also, is there anyone else here in the USA keeping them?
paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi Paris, liua Shihi are an awsome species that's almost never available. That was until about 18 months ago when they started to appear in the US and in Europe. I think that all those that appeared in Europe, to my knowledge died unfortunately, but i do recall Erik Keyster gtting several of these.
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: markusA has given consistently excellent advice and informationmarkusA has given consistently excellent advice and informationmarkusA has given consistently excellent advice and informationmarkusA has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hi Paris,

I do not have experince with Liua but in closely related Chinese Batrachuperus it seems easy in adults to sex them, very similar to Hynobius from Japan (old thread in this forum but I can not find now).
Post detailed pics of the cloacal region of your two Liua.

Adult Chinese Batrachuperus males have thicker arms, especially the forearms are thicker compared to female ones.
The cloaca in females is u- shaped and more bulged than in males.
The cloaca of males is characterized by a small knob at the upper beginning of the cloacal slit between the two flat and smaller cloacal bulgs.
I do not have pics of cloacas of my Batrachuperus but will take some good shots next days.

At what temperatures do you keep yours, what do they feed?

regards

Markus
markusA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Rep: paris has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and informationparis has given consistently excellent advice and information
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusA View Post
Hi Paris,

.... very similar to Hynobius from Japan (old thread in this forum but I can not find now).
Post detailed pics of the cloacal region of your two Liua.

The cloaca in females is u- shaped and more bulged than in males.
The cloaca of males is characterized by a small knob at the upper beginning of the cloacal slit .....

At what temperatures do you keep yours, what do they feed?

regards

Markus
would you consider the cloaca photos in this old thread accurate enough to sex them Sex them up.....and ID them please.... if so then i have 2 females

i feed mine worm chunks but mostly ranagen soft moist pellets-they like those fine

mine used to be kept at about 60-65 but in my new place they are doing fine at 73F
paris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, liua, sex, shihican