The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tokyoensis Tank Ideas

This is a discussion on Tokyoensis Tank Ideas within the Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have had my 4 juvenile tokyoensis for about half a year now, and so I'm wondering how to make ...

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: GeoNewt has shown reliable knowledgeGeoNewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Tokyoensis Tank Ideas

I have had my 4 juvenile tokyoensis for about half a year now, and so I'm wondering how to make their tank more interesting and nicer to look at. Please could anyone post their pictures of tanks for tokyoensis or any other hynobius?

GeoNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Tokyoensis Tank Ideas

I had some Hynobius for a while and found it hard to come up with a setup that worked well. They like to be in shallow wet hidden spots. I ended up with a tank with water, a 12x12 inch piece of slate, and a pile of cork bark on top of the slate. The water level was kept so that there was just a bit of water above the slate. This setup was easy to clean, and it made the sals happy, but it was not the most attractive.

Did you see the setup photos on the H. dunni caresheet page on Caudata Culture?

Old 3rd May 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: GeoNewt has shown reliable knowledgeGeoNewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Tokyoensis Tank Ideas

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I did see the two pictures of Hynobius dunni tanks, and thats the sort of thing I have in mind when mine grow up, but those are the only examples i've been able to find. I've read that certainly the dispositions of tokyoensis and dunni are very different, but would you recommend the same type of set-up for them?

GeoNewt is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack