The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

H.dunni arrived today :D

This is a discussion on H.dunni arrived today :D within the Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am now the proud keeper and humble worshiper of a group of 5 Hynobius dunni. Ive been fascinated by ...

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2010   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default H.dunni arrived today :D

I am now the proud keeper and humble worshiper of a group of 5 Hynobius dunni.
Ive been fascinated by hynobiids and their reproductive strategy since i first heard of it, and im just thrilled i might get to witness it in the future.
They are much more plethodontid-like than i expected!
I tried to take a couple of pictures but it was a nightmare, the little buggers are quick and VERY shy. Anyway, i hardly managed to get a couple of shots when i turned off the light and they started to explore a bit, but still, the pictures are really bad....sorry. I hope to be able to get some decent ones soon.

Thanx Joost for the animals and for the great service, its been a pleassure dealing with you.
Im off now to watch them a little bit more :P
Attached Thumbnails
H.dunni arrived today :D-p1070866.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1070861.jpg  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: H.dunni arrived today :D

Lovely animals! I hope they do well for you and you get some of those wonderful egg sacks.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Cheers, Chris
And thanx for all the help setting the tank and for the tips!

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 8th November 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Viv is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you post pictures of the whole tank please. Those are beautifull newts by the way.
Thanks
Alex

Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010   #5 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 1
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

It's great to see when I can place my animals to dedicated persons, like you Azhael.

Very much luck and breeding succes with them in future.

Here some clearer pics of them, for those who are interested

Joost
Attached Thumbnails
H.dunni arrived today :D-dunni.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-dunni2.jpg  

Last edited by Joost; 8th November 2010 at 23:22.
Joost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information

I have a group here they are great to look after the males where marking there sticks but no breeding as yet maybe next year.How old are yours?

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2010   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thanx for adding some clear photos xD They are skittish as hell...

They are CB09, Tony.

Ive been able to tweezer feed one of them. There are isopods and springtails around for them to hunt anyway. Hopefully, as they become more accostumed to their new home and they shake off the stress of the journey, ill get to see more of them. I already love the buggers!!

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 9th November 2010   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm glad they are settling in. Tony - I'm not sure if you have a female in the group I gave you or not...there was one animal that might be, but I wasn't sure. Hopefully you will find out March time! Males tend to have Y-shaped cloacal openings (with the fork of the Y at the end closest to the head) while females have simple straight lines. These differences are there for more of the year than the breeding characteristics.

C

Old 9th November 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tony has given good advice and informationtony has given good advice and information

Will have a look at them.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

If you can hold them still!

Old 10th November 2010   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Pfff...i can barely see mine...trying to check their cloacas will have to wait xDDD

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 10th November 2010   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Your best option is to catch them and put the in something with a transparent bottom that you can look through. You will probably have to wait until you clean them out! Hopefully you have a mixed group. Will you fridge them for the winter?
Henk Wallays' information here:
http://www.webpak.net/~cynorita/28large.pdf
on page 12 about raising Hynobius might be of use to you.

C

Old 10th November 2010   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Ill wait to check their sex, theres no rush. I feel like ill give them a heartattack if i lift the bark, if i tried to catch them theyd explode.
I dont think ill fridge them this winter. They are about 8cm ( im guessing here) so ill just give them a nice drop of temperatures to about 14-15C.

Cheers for the articles, Chris, you know i apreciate your help.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 10th November 2010   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

A better picture and a shot of the whole set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
H.dunni arrived today :D-p1070868.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1070870.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1070871.jpg  

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 10th November 2010   #15 (permalink)
Asian Newt Group

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Rep: Joost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.orgJoost is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Very nice setup. They will do fine in there.

(It's very strange to see my former animals knowing they're in Spain now )

Old 10th March 2011   #16 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Default H.dunni arrived today :D

I thought id make a little update since i managed to take some almost-decent pictures of these guys.
They are doing great, they have HUGE appetites and go berserk on each other if i leave them two days without food. Thank the gods they can regenerate pieces of tail like it wasnt any trouble at all.
Some are already 10 cm or so, which supossedly is about the size they become mature, so they are doing very nicely.
I just bloody love them, i do. When theres food around they are very bold and eat right from the tweezers, but otherwise you barely see a head poking out among the shadows if you move a bit (they are very curious).
Attached Thumbnails
H.dunni arrived today :D-p1080175.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1080180.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1080197.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1080199.jpg   H.dunni arrived today :D-p1080204.jpg  

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 10th March 2011 at 21:15.
Old 11th March 2011   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Beautiful animals and setup Azhael. I am sure they will receive meticulous care.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They look extremely robust and healthy - you're obviously doing something right

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

No he is not. He is doing something wrong He is putting me envious of his salamanders!!! hahaha. Great work Rodrigo, I wish I had your luck and owned some of those!

Please breed em!
Cheers,
Jorge

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011   #20 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Cheers everyone!
Erin, they are indeed robust, although i prefer the term FAT AS HELL. In the pictures they had already had time to digest their last meal, they are usually chunkier, they have such appetites! Id consider feeding them a little less but then theyd try to eat each other....

Jorge, yes, breeding them is definitely the plan xD.

Non Timetis Messor.

LinkBack