The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)

This is a discussion on Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni) within the Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; The Caudate Gods have bestowed upon me the ultimate blessing, they have gifted me with dunni eggs!!! Now a brief ...

Hynobiid Salamanders (Hynobiidae) This group of Far Eastern salamanders are becoming increasingly popular in captivity, and thanks to the captive breeding efforts of one European hobbyist in particular (you know who I mean), they are becoming easier and easier to acquire.

Like Tree26Likes
  • 16 Post By Azhael
  • 1 Post By Azhael
  • 8 Post By Azhael
  • 1 Post By maxim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2014   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)

The Caudate Gods have bestowed upon me the ultimate blessing, they have gifted me with dunni eggs!!!
Now a brief and explosive display of happiness:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!! !
Click the image to open in full size.

I shall sacrifice many a worm to thee oh Caudate Gods!

Now, heres the story. They have been in my terrace for the entire winter, because i couldnt fridge them like i did the previous year. Unfortunately that meant that they havent been exposed to temps as low as i wanted, they have been fluctuating between 8-12C most of the time. Eventually i put them in the breeding tank two months ago, because the males were spending some time in the water and the females were getting somewhat biggish. For two months i struggled to keep the temps below 10C. The males went in full breeding mode, the females got bigger and everybody was spending time in the water and eating a lot. But no eggs.
Then as all us europeans know, we had a heat wave. A bit over a week of excellent, sunny, spring weather. the water temp went up to 15C and the females were barely in the water anymore. The water quickly developed algae and i lost all hope of any success. A few days ago i was considering putting them back in their usual tank and taking them in, because with the high temps i thought that was it, plus i was getting worried about keeping them in the terrace, which gets direct sunlight all afternoon and really heats up. But then winter came back xD I delayed taking them in out of laziness more than anything else. I really thought there was no chance, but since the males were still in the water i thought "hey, let them enjoy it a bit longer while the bad weather lasts".
Then yesterday i went in to check the water temp out of curiosity and then i saw it....i saw a translucent ball full of dots clinging from a brick. My eyes went wide and the nonsensical screaming begun. While i was calling my father to come see i noticed something on the bottom of the tank.....a second set of egg sacs!!! Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! The two females had laid the same night!!
After a quick happy dance followed by failed attempts to take any half-decent pictures i spent a good 20 minutes just staring at the things and freezing my **** off in my pijamas.

I fell in love with H.dunni the first time i saw Henk Wallays' photos. Their mode of reproduction fascinated me and when i finally got my little group from Joost all i wanted was to some day see this remarkable thing with my own eyes and yesterday that day finally arrived and oh....it is beautiful....

Now its time to come back down to earth. As far as i understand theres a very good chance the eggs are not fertile. Which is fine, im happy enough having the chance to see the egg sacs and truth be told, knowing that by the time they hatch i will have to spend over a month away from home for my exams, i dont know what i will do if they end up being fertile and viable. If they show signs of being viable i might even consider putting them in a foster home xD
Im not expecting anything, as i say im happy enough with just getting to see such remarkable egg sacs, but obviously if on top of that i somehow end up with a group of minidunnis to distribute to friends, despite the terrible timing, that would be fantastic but hey, theres always next year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post..but i couldnt just say "hey, got dunni eggs"...im waaaay too thrilled to spare you the details xD

Oh, here are two terrible pictures where you can barely see anything at all. Enjoy! (ill upload better pictures as the egg sacs inflate to their full size in the following days).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.

Last edited by Azhael; 24th March 2014 at 12:13.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D

Congratulations! So there was no really overwintering, just putting them in cool conditions right out of "normal conditions"? Anyway, i keep thumbs for the eggs to be fertile.

Quote:
The Caudate Gods have bestowed upon me the ultimate blessing
This religion should be kind of standardized, i always refer to The Great Newt.
Some sort of Slimy Tailed Bible needs to be written.

Old 24th March 2014   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Brilliant! Hope they develop. Be careful of the adults, especially males, eating eggs.

The 'normal' approach with these guys is to remove the adults and let the larvae hatch and develop in the breeding tank.

Hope they are fertile!!!

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Ill take the adults out tomorrow and leave the eggs alone in the tank. If one of the males so much as looks at the eggs funny hell know what wrath is.
Should i be worried about taking them inside? The cold wont last long...by next week well probably go back to the lovely spring weather which means the terrace could get really hot. Would the eggs be fine at room temperature or should i try to keep them colder?

Im panicking Chris, im panicking! xD Argh....what if they are fertile....

Janusz, they were over-wintered for about two months before i put them in the breeding tank (and then another two months before they laid), but they werent exposed to temps as low as i wanted them to be. Nevertheless they were cold.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 24th March 2014   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I think they can take quite warm temperatures, but avoid anything higher than early 20s C. I would increase the number of oxygenating plants if it gets warmer, though. You can always shade the tank with some white boards/cloth/plastic sheeting. I wouldn't move them until you can see if they are developing.

C

Old 24th March 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Brilliant news..I will now keep everything crossed for continuing success

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

New pictures.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 27th March 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

It looks like they're developing!

Old 6th April 2014   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

How are the eggs doing? Were they fertile?

C

Old 9th April 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with the eggs!
I found yesterday an egg sac of my Hynobius quelpartensis.
Also very happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)-imagejpg1_zps2d919a65.jpg  

maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Rodrigo, any updates?

Old 16th August 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: HWALL has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)

Great to see the Hynobidae are still kept and bred !!

HWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2015   #13 (permalink)
Cliygh and Mia

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Re: Dreams do come true *blink blink* :D (Hynobius dunni)

Whatever happened to these guys? Are you still breeding them?

LinkBack