The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Found a Cryptobranchus alleganiensis larva.

This is a discussion on Found a Cryptobranchus alleganiensis larva. within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Memorial day weekend was busy but I had a little time to myself to herp for about 30 mins. Found ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By Neotenic_Jaymes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th May 2015   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Found a Cryptobranchus alleganiensis larva.

Memorial day weekend was busy but I had a little time to myself to herp for about 30 mins. Found this guy in about 15 mins. A larval Cryptobranchus alleganiensis/Hellbender. I'm one happy herper and a very lucky one also. Not many people get to see Hellbenders in the wild and even less people get to see larval individuals.

I've read that breeding occurs from summer to fall. In this case I think one was the product of a fall breeding. Since gestation is about 3 months this one probably hatched in late winter of 2014 or early this year. This larva was about 2.5 inches and didn't seem to retain any yolk.

Also found various Desmognathus sp that I didn't even try to ID, because it always feels like a hassle to ID them.
Attached Thumbnails
Found a Cryptobranchus alleganiensis larva.-image.jpg  

Old 26th May 2015   #2 (permalink)
Cliygh and Mia

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Re: Found a Cryptobranchus alleganiensis larva.

Awsome

Old 27th May 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm so jealous man, this is a total dream for me!

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has shown reliable knowledge

Now that's a beauty James. You are a lucky man!

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack