The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Necturus in Florida

This is a discussion on Necturus in Florida within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So these past few weeks I've been very confused by some publications regarding Necturus in Florida. In Ray E. Ashton ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pierson_hill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: coolkraitcalvin has started on the right path
Default Necturus in Florida

So these past few weeks I've been very confused by some publications regarding Necturus in Florida. In Ray E. Ashton Jr's book "Handbook of Reptiles and Amphibians of Florida: Part Three the Amphibians" he says that N. Alabamensis is in Florida, which obviously isn't true, since they only occur in the Upper Black Warrior River. Then, in "Salamanders of the Southeast" by J. Whitfield Gibbons, he lists that no Necturus is in Florida, but shows a picture of a beyeri from Wakulla Co. Fl. The Peterson guides even list that there are no Necturus in Florida. Is there some kind of controversial matter over this, so they just decided to leave Necturus out of Florida completely?

coolkraitcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Necturus in Florida

Did a few minutes of google research and it seems like N. beyeri is very well documented on the Florida panhandle (Wakulla co is included within their range map on the iucn site). Doesn't seem like there is much debate, just some sloppy editing in those publications.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by otolith View Post
Did a few minutes of google research and it seems like N. beyeri is very well documented on the Florida panhandle (Wakulla co is included within their range map on the iucn site). Doesn't seem like there is much debate, just some sloppy editing in those publications.
Yeah, I did some more googling and it seems they're also not very certain on the exact taxonomy of the water dogs in Florida. They come off as a different ssp\sp.

Old 12th January 2016   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 132
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Just as confusing, Inaturalist says lesser sirens range through Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and parts of Michigan and Wisconsin, as well as the other southern states. What's even stranger, it says that the sirens inhabit most of Georgia, except for the northwestern portion, and not just the costal plain. I thought they lived only on the costal plain there in GA, but just goes to show, you can't really trust everything you read or see

Old 12th January 2016   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yeah, it also says that Necturus beyeri lives in Georgia too, and by that I don't mean just one population, the entire state is essentially in it's range too. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but the entire state? I doubt it

Old 12th January 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Yeah, it also says that Necturus beyeri lives in Georgia too, and by that I don't mean just one population, the entire state is essentially in it's range too. I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but the entire state? I doubt it
What were you reading? Even in "North American Amphibians" it says there are no water dogs in Florida, and as previously stated they are commonly found there.
I've never noticed the misinformation on lesser siren ranges, I'll have to look into that.

Old 3rd June 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pierson_hill has given consistently good advice and informationpierson_hill has given consistently good advice and informationpierson_hill has given consistently good advice and information

Here is the best summary of Florida Necturus you're going to find right now (from the Atlas of Amphibians and Reptiles in Florida by Krysko, Enge, and Moler).
Attached Thumbnails
Necturus in Florida-necturus_fl.jpg  

Even in the study of animals disagreeable to perception, the nature that crafted them likewise provides extraordinary pleasures to those who are able to know their causes and are by nature philosophers. - Aristotle, De partibus animalium I. 5
pierson_hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkraitcalvin View Post
What were you reading? Even in "North American Amphibians" it says there are no water dogs in Florida, and as previously stated they are commonly found there.
I've never noticed the misinformation on lesser siren ranges, I'll have to look into that.
On the range map indicated from Inaturalist.org. I don't know how accurate this is, but here you go: iNaturalist.org Gulf Coast Waterdog (Necturus beyeri)

LinkBack