The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudobranchus breeding

This is a discussion on Pseudobranchus breeding within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello everybody, itís time to introduce myself: Iím Herve, urodela lover for long time. I have currently only few species ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By herve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: herve has shown reliable knowledge
Default Pseudobranchus breeding

Hello everybody, itís time to introduce myself: Iím Herve, urodela lover for long time. I have currently only few species of amphibians: axolotl, Pleurodeles waltl, Typhlonectes natans, Pseudobranchus sp. and recently young Siren intermedia nettingi.
This said, this message is about my dwarf sirens.
A friend of mine acquired them for me in April 2014; they were apparently (sub?) adults, and I got them with me in December 2014. I suspect it is P. striatus, but unfortunately, I cannot be sure...
At the beginning of September 2015, I could see a smaller dwarf siren swimming after the largest one, obviously the male after the female. (except this "swimming race", I could not observe more of their breeding behavior).
And in 15th of September, I was lucky to see my first egg!

Then, I could see regularly either one new egg or a new hatched larvae. Eventually, the best way to save the larvae, was to collect the young larvae as soon as I saw them (after daily monitoring), and put in the same aquarium of the parents, but isolated in a transparent box with net on its side.
Below are some different stages:
Just hatched
Several days old
Weeks old
If I recall correctly, somewhen in December the parents stopped ďproducingĒ.
The collected larvae are still OK today, growing surely, but very slowly, and today theyíre ranging from 1cm to about 5cm. They have such tiny mouth, that it is not always easy to find appropriate food. I manage with small Daphnia (or Moina sp?), and start to give them very small blood worm when I found some. In fact, I have also 1 or 2 larvae that are still alive and "free" with their parents, showing, that the parents are not eating them; but the disadvantage is that I'm not sure they find their "microfood" properly...
Having very short experience, itís not very serious to raise conclusions, but at this stage, I think one of the key element for breeding is the day/night period (and its change with season). Open to discussionÖ
Thatís all for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Pseudobranchus breeding-20150915_133801.jpg   Pseudobranchus breeding-img_4175-cropped.jpg   Pseudobranchus breeding-img_4202-cropped.jpg   Pseudobranchus breeding-img_20151108_085027.jpg   Pseudobranchus breeding-dsc00043.jpg  

herve is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack