The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus breeding farm

This is a discussion on Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus breeding farm within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Andrias davidianus Chinese Giant Salamanders These are captive bred individuals. Most of the pictures that I have decided to share ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: yanger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus breeding farm

Andrias davidianus Chinese Giant Salamanders
These are captive bred individuals. Most of the pictures that I have decided to share with you are pictures of mutant giants. I used the word "farm" because thousands of babies are produced during every spring breeding season and some of them are either albinos or leucistic. They also display amazing black and white blotchings.
The wild population is still rare but are also making a comeback. The captive bred population is so huge in China right now that the total number of the Chinese Giant Salamander are well out of the danger zone. Occasionally healthy wild-type adults are released into wild populations "effects are unknown"
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-75537945.jpg   Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-328711235.jpg   Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-1101301843.jpg  

yanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus breeding farm

Interesting pics, thanks for posting!
I have read somewhere that most of the animals raised for food are davidianus/japonicus hybrids, is there any truth in that?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Interesting pics, thanks for posting!
I have read somewhere that most of the animals raised for food are davidianus/japonicus hybrids, is there any truth in that?
I don't think that is true because the origins of these captive animals are wild caught Davidianus pregnant females (the farm started about 6 years ago.) However, there are so many farms in China that I can not really say for sure what species the other farms are working with.

Old 27th April 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here are more pictures of mutant adults and juves
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-315430051.jpg   Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-957160043.jpg   Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-311261834.jpg  

Old 27th April 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

And the numbers of mutant babies are surprisingly high! With the ratio of about 1 in 50 babies being a mutant, you guys can get a hint of how many Giant Salamanders are bred and hatched each season.
Some animals are sold as pets (all the mutants and some regular giants) but most are sold for the food market. I personally would never eat these creatures but at least this mass breeding project has saved the species from extinction. These should be pure Davidianus by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-1646514451.jpg  

Old 28th April 2017   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Lovely! Just too bad they're not legal here.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Is ownership of CB. Giants illegal in other countries?

Old 30th April 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
Lovely! Just too bad they're not legal here.
Do you own a riiver ?
I personally don't see any rational reason to keep at home this.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juraj View Post
Do you own a riiver ?
My friend runs this farm and he does own a river, hahaha
The primary reason for breeding these is for the food market and the pet trade.

Old 30th April 2017   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Amazing thread! How long does it take for the juveniles to get large, if you mind me asking

Old 30th April 2017   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

It takes about 2 years for a juvenile to become an adult.

Quote:
Do you own a riiver ?
My friend runs this farm and he does own this section of the river. The Giant Salamanders he raises will be shipped off all over China.

Last edited by Chinadog; 30th April 2017 at 21:16.
Old 30th April 2017   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

This is one of the most stunning morphs I have ever seen and owned. This type of translucent leucistic mutation is quite rare amongst Giants.
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-1015607805.jpg  

Old 30th April 2017   #13 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Do you own a riiver ?
There are a lot of large setups suitable to succesfully keep these guys and I've got the space. There are other newts which inhabit rivers, which are sucesfully kept without the necessity of owning a river. By the way, A. davidianus is also found in very narrow streams with a depth of less then half a meter, as well as A. japonicus.

Then again, there are no rational reasons to keep any newt or salamander species. In the end we're doing it for our own pleasure. Any benefits (other then for ourselves) as a result of keeping them, like gathering information, are a bonus.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

[QUOTE=yanger;478492]It takes about 2 years for a juvenile to become an adult.

Varios sources refer that adults can reach 1.8m . Have you seen any like that ?

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niels D View Post
There are a lot of large setups suitable to succesfully keep these guys and I've got the space. There are other newts which inhabit rivers, which are sucesfully kept without the necessity of owning a river. By the way, A. davidianus is also found in very narrow streams with a depth of less then half a meter, as well as A. japonicus.
I bet Giant salamanders would do very well in a Koi pond (without any Koi, obviously). High oxygen content and very low nitrates would be like home from home for them.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

[QUOTE=juraj;478536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanger View Post
It takes about 2 years for a juvenile to become an adult.

Varios sources refer that adults can reach 1.8m . Have you seen any like that ?
Captive-raised adults are usually sold before reaching full size, but I have seen five breeding males over 1.5m and females around 1.8m.

Old 1st May 2017   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

This is an adult 1.2m golden leucistic male. One of the most beautiful adults on the farm.

The "panda" morph.
Attached Thumbnails
Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-1729564942.jpg   Chinese Giant Salamander Andrias davidianus	breeding farm-315430051.jpg  

Last edited by Chinadog; 2nd May 2017 at 19:52.
Old 2nd May 2017   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: newtron has started on the right path

Are these f1 or f2? The little i know about the giant salamanders suggests that they are all wild caught or the the first generation of wild caught.

newtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtron View Post
Are these f1 or f2? The little i know about the giant salamanders suggests that they are all wild caught or the the first generation of wild caught.
Reports over 4 years ago suggest that the farm bred population was all wild caught F1s. In order to create more mutants, breeders started to have a section of their salamanders breed into F3s and F4s. The more mutants you see, the more domesticated the selected population is.
There are NO farms in China that sell F1s anymore because the purchase of F1s and wild caught adults have long become illegal.
To know more about Giant Sals you actually need to talk to several farm breeders. Looking up reports and articles on Google or Baidu isn't enough because all the reports you will find are seriously outdated, over 2 years ago.

Old 3rd May 2017   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:

There are F3s for the mutants. I made a mistake, F4s don't exist yet.

LinkBack