The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Video: Hellbender episode of Nick Baker's Weird Creatures

This is a discussion on Video: Hellbender episode of Nick Baker's Weird Creatures within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; http://www.pinoychannel.tv/watch/v-81896 Very good documentary on hellbenders and some other species of salamanders get a look in. Thanks to EdK for ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2008   #1 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Video: Hellbender episode of Nick Baker's Weird Creatures

http://www.pinoychannel.tv/watch/v-81896

Very good documentary on hellbenders and some other species of salamanders get a look in. Thanks to EdK for letting me know about this.

Old 4th December 2008   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dave1812 has given consistently good advice and informationDave1812 has given consistently good advice and informationDave1812 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Video: Hellbender episode of Nick Baker's Weird Creatures

A very enjoyable and informative program

Dave1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: marco has shown reliable knowledgemarco has shown reliable knowledge

quite distressing really... some beautiful shots of the habitats but some of those disfigurments are very worrying.

marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The information was shocking and the efforts of the scientist were really sincere. This video shows how much people really know and how much we don't know as well. The graphic scenes were horrific but it was nice to see so many larvae. 1st time I've seen Hell Bender larvae that scene will stay with me, promotion of this video will do the Hell Bender a great good.

Neotenic_Jaymes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008   #5 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I agree wholeheartedly. The only problem is that whoever posted this video most certainly did it without permission so I doubt it'll stay on the internet for long.

Old 6th December 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Steve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSteve Roman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice find. Having just recently visited the Natural History Museum in London and its entomology department, I also enjoyed the scenes from there.

Steve Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008   #7 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I thought it was a great documentary, and I while I agree that some parts were disturbing, The beginning was enjoyable. I'd seen pictures of 'bender larvae, but never video; I was glad to see that.

On a slightly different note, I think I may have a book by that Nick Baker guy...

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2008   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Indeed, this is well worth watching - all 46 minutes of it. The hellbender larvae are very cute.

The deformities shown on the adult hellbenders remind me of the kinds of things we see in newly-imported Chinese firebellies: limb deterioration and ulceration. These animals must be under terrible stress.

Old 6th December 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: lazymut is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i thought that was truly fascinating watched every second of it if anybody knows of any other caudate related documentaries please do share:)

Old 21st January 2009   #10 (permalink)
TV Herp Guru

Nationality:
Rep: Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Bugboy has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I've just found this site and I must thank you all for your kind words about my series - Weird Creatures. It really encourages me to carry on.

I'm currently out on another caudata mission - In fact i'm in mexico city right now typing this on my lap top - I'm off to try and find one of the few wild axolotls left in their native habitat of whats left of lake xochimilco. I've been finding various Ambystomids in the illegal markets here including what appeared to be a wild Axolotl but I may be a hybrid of some kind as it doesn't quite fit any decription I can find (see posts in Axolotl section).

I spent today in the university labs where they keep a wild culture of axolotls and I have been quizzing the sceintists here about a few neat little triks including treatments for Chytrid fungus..I will happily share as sson as I'm sure I've got my facts right.

I'll keep exploring the forums and of course if anyone has any suggesting I'm all ears.

Cheers

Nick

Bugboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: chantia001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive just found this forum and am facinated about these strange little creatures. Until I watched Nick Bakers weird creatures I had never seen or heard of an olm or a hellbender!! It saddens me to think that unless we take drastic steps to protect our planet and the animals that co-habit it with us we will lose it forever.

Well done Nick!!

C x

chantia001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

I realize that this is an old thread, but this episode on the Hellbender is coming on the Smithsonian Channel (HD) and probably the normal version too but I'm not sure, on Sept 18th 2009 at 9:00 pm EST. I don't know who has this channel or what provider has it, I have Verizon Fios so whoever has that should certainly be able to see it.

I don't see it coming up soon, but the episode on the Olm (Proteus anguinus) had been played on the channel numerous times lately, that episode is definately worth watching, unbelievable footage of both subspecies of the Proteus.

Old 18th September 2009   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

The shows tonight (see above post). For us on the East coast.

(Just wanted to draw attention to the thread)

Tags
baker, baker's, creatures, episode, hellbender, nick, video, video:, weird

LinkBack