The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Lesser Siren FUNGUS!

This is a discussion on Lesser Siren FUNGUS! within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; My lesser siren has developed a fungus on its top left gill. I'm not sure how I should approach this ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th December 2010   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Lesser Siren FUNGUS!

My lesser siren has developed a fungus on its top left gill. I'm not sure how I should approach this situation. With my newts and non-siren salamanders I usually salt the water that they are currently living in or take the axolotl out and give it salt baths. I did already add a little salt into its tank but not much. Is there a certain method I should use?
Attached Thumbnails
Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_5081.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_5074.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_5128.jpg  

Old 13th December 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Lesser Siren FUNGUS!

Just give it a salt bath like you would an axolotl...just in a larger container.

Old 13th December 2010   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and information

I had a similar issue with my lesser siren and put it in the fridge for a couple days with good success.

AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks Justin, thanks Aaron! I've considered both. I'll keep the Siren in the basement where its about 42 degrees. I'll do salt baths every other day till everything seems better. Cooling and salt baths. Thank you both!

Old 21st April 2011   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here is an update on my lesser siren. Salt baths worked fine but since I've never applied a salt bath to a siren so I used a smaller amount of salt for the "salt baths". Obviously since I used minimal salt I had to apply more salt baths. Maybe if I used larger doses of salt my siren would have been fungus free sooner. I took the route of precaution.

Incase other siren keepers out there suffer the same situation. I put my siren in a 10 gallon tank filled with about 2-3 gallons of water. I used about 0.5 of a spoon of salt and left the siren in there for about 15 minutes. Everyday till the fungus fell away. The damaged gill is now growing back.
Attached Thumbnails
Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_6534.jpguse.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_6525.jpguse.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_6521.jpguse.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_6524.jpg   Lesser Siren FUNGUS!-img_6502.jpg  

Old 21st April 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Caudae has started on the right path

This is good news! That looked like a pretty aggressive fungus!

I have used Meracyn Oxy (common in pet stores) with good success too on gill fungus, just dose for your aquarium size, then add enough for about another 10gal., treat every day up to 3 days (I wouldn't do any more days than that). If still present, salt bath it in colder temps!

Caudae is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack