The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding mudpuppies

This is a discussion on Feeding mudpuppies within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So the mudpuppies are doing fine, hiding under their rocks in the tank. Every once in a while they eat ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: LeslieK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding mudpuppies

So the mudpuppies are doing fine, hiding under their rocks in the tank. Every once in a while they eat a worm but I am wondering how often should I feed them? I really can't tell what a hungry mudpuppy looks like. On occasion they grab a worm and chew on it then spit it out, what is the deal?

Any ideas or suggestions??

thanks, Lesliek

LeslieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default Re: Feeding mudpuppies

What type of worms are you feeding them and how old/long are your mudpuppies? I feed my adults twice a week and my juvies 4 times a week. The adults have even gotten into the habit of "begging" everytime I walk by the tank. Also try feeding right before you turn out the lights. More often than not you won't find any worms in the tank when you check it in the morning.

Old 23rd March 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 3
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieK View Post
On occasion they grab a worm and chew on it then spit it out, what is the deal? Lesliek
I have seen mudpuppies and sirens do this. Usually I think it is just a case of the animal being too full already, or the worm a little too big. Other times I've suspected the water chemistry may have been somewhat off - as in a new setup, or after a recent big water change, or in a tank that badly needs a water change.

This is not related to food, but make sure your tank is securely covered. Mudpuppies can be escape artists.

-Steve Morse

eyrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2011   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

One of the mudpuppies is about 10" long while the second is 8". The larger one eats, its the smaller one that doesn't. We've been changing the water 2X a week and keeping the tank clean.

I bought some dried krill, i soak it and toss it into the tank but they aren't very interested. I know where to get some frozen so i guess that's the next step.

Do you just toss the worms in the tank and leave them? I've been dangling the worms in front of the mudpuppies and if they don't bite, i pull the worms out. I figured they won't be interested in a dead worm, a live wriggly one is better.

I feel responsible for their wellbeing and am trying to make them comfortable, any suggestions are welcome.

thanks, LK

Old 24th March 2011   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Try minnows. Mudpuppies are one of the salamanders that do prey on fish in the wild.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: eyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.orgeyrops is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Try minnows. Mudpuppies are one of the salamanders that do prey on fish in the wild.
I have used minnows sucessfully.

-Steve Morse

Old 25th March 2011   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieK View Post
Do you just toss the worms in the tank and leave them? I've been dangling the worms in front of the mudpuppies and if they don't bite, i pull the worms out. I figured they won't be interested in a dead worm, a live wriggly one is better.
I just toss the worms in and leave it overnight. If they haven't eaten it by the morning then I remove it.

Old 25th March 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: jelkins has shown reliable knowledge

These guys are also quite partial to crayfish.

jelkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelkins View Post
These guys are also quite partial to crayfish.
True. I have not fed crayfish to mudpuppies, but I do have some experience with crayfish. I would advise some caution here. Crayfish come in many species and sizes, and some may be a threat to your mudpuppies in a confined space. If you try crayfish, go for as small as you can find at first, and watch them carefully. The ideal crayfish to try would be small ones that have just molted and are still soft because their exoskeletons have not hardened yet. I have collected these by snorkeling and excavating loose gravel/cobble substrate in streams, and also by dip netting while disturbing vegetation along stream margins. Orconectes propinquus is the species I am most familiar with. Crayfish can also be induced to molt by removing their eyestalks. This requires a separate setup for the crayfish, and checking them every day so the molting ones don't get eaten by the others. I've done this in a lab. Young ones molt quite frequently on their own without the eyestalk ablation.

-Steve Morse

Old 26th March 2011   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

When I had my large mudpuppy. I had tried several times to feed him crayfish. Without a doubt it would try to eat the crayfish, but I have to say crayfish are pretty well adapted to avoid getting eaten by mudpuppies. More often than getting eaten, the crayfishes would end up becoming skittish, and skillful co-habitants with a nasty ability to destroy/rearrange my tank. I wouldn't recommend crayfish for a mudpuppy in an aquarium beyond being a novelty food item.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks so much for all your advice. My mudpuppies are very grateful.

LK

Old 10th April 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for all your advice, I am so grateful.
Mudpuppies are doing well. Replaced the tank filter with and external pump and it all seems to be going well.

Such a relief, I hate being responsible for another organism when I'm not sure what to do and you guys have been a great help.

LK, otherwise know as the mudmommy

Old 10th April 2011   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Lol mudmommy, glad we could help!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack