The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

She has laid eggs - Mudpuppy breeding

This is a discussion on She has laid eggs - Mudpuppy breeding within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Sad to see it turn out this way, best of luck next year....

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2013   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: She has laid eggs - Mudpuppy breeding

Sad to see it turn out this way, best of luck next year.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2013   #42 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Dang! I was hoping this wouldn't happen. Like a few other in tank nests I heard of.....

Old 22nd June 2013   #43 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yeah it's was gutting, I had them developing for over two months they were beginning to look like larvae before I went away. I guessed that they would hatch at around the end of my two week trip. According to my cover staff they had started to move a little. I was feeding the adults almost three times a week and they where getting to the stage where they didn't want the fish.

I am gutted.

Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Markgilst has shown reliable knowledge

My condolences to you for the end result being so gutting, but I'm still amazed. She looks like my mudpuppy, except he's male. Really cool animals.

Markgilst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: ivanli has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Redbond View Post
Hello,

Sorry for not posting an update for ages.

The eggs were developing nicely over 20 and no signs of the female eating them as I was keeping all of the adults well fed.

During this time, I had a long awaited field trip to China to survey Chinese Giant salamanders. During my time away the eggs were eaten I think because they were not fed enough, I'm gutted. There had obviously been some scraping as there was some skin damage.

But hey there is always next year, everything has been documented so I will repeat it next year so fingers crossed for then.

Hopefully my next trip to china will not clash with them laying again.

Kind regards
Jay
Where have you visited for the survey in China? There are huge amount of Chinese giant salamander culturists in my hometown. I have about 500 salamanders in my two breeding fields, 12 salamanders are 8/9 years old, and three females just laid numerous eggs one week ago.

ivanli is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack