The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Mudpuppies have laid again

This is a discussion on Mudpuppies have laid again within the Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello All, Two of the females have laid again, so fingers crossed this time. I will post pictures on soon. ...

Large Aquatic Salamanders (Hellbenders/Cryptobranchids, Necturus, Siren, etc.) This topic covers Cryptobranchids like the hellbender and Asian giant salamanders, as well as sirens, mud puppies, and amphiumas.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 8 Post By Jay Redbond
  • 7 Post By Jay Redbond
  • 2 Post By Azhael
  • 5 Post By Jay Redbond
  • 1 Post By Jay Redbond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th March 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Mudpuppies have laid again

Hello All,

Two of the females have laid again, so fingers crossed this time. I will post pictures on soon.

The strangest thing is that they laid on the 9th last year too.

Kind Regards
Jay

Jay Redbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: salamandergod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mudpuppies have laid again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Redbond View Post
Hello All,

Two of the females have laid again, so fingers crossed this time. I will post pictures on soon.

The strangest thing is that they laid on the 9th last year too.

Kind Regards
Jay
That's awesome! Please, keep us posted.

salamandergod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJay Redbond is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hello,

Here are some pictures, I will post more soon as she has laid a lot more eggs since.

Cheers
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Mudpuppies have laid again-ybt-112.jpg   Mudpuppies have laid again-ybt-119.jpg   Mudpuppies have laid again-ybt-117.jpg  

Old 12th March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Oh Gods of all things Caudate, let them be fertile and develop!
You should sacrifice some earthworms, man.

In all seriousness, best of lucks!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello All,

The eggs have started to develop, so fingers crossed we get some babies this year.

I decided to heat the water up to speed up the development, so that they hatch hopefully before I go off to China for the giant salamander surveys.

Enjoy the photos.

Kind Regards
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Mudpuppies have laid again-1b-008.jpg   Mudpuppies have laid again-1b-010.jpg   Mudpuppies have laid again-1b-014.jpg  

Old 30th March 2014   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Sorry, I don't know much about this species and similar species to it, so I have a newby question.

Why are some of the eggs embryo-less? They are just jelly. Were they eaten or were they just laid like that?

Thanks -Seth

Old 31st March 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi Seth,

I have seen them eat some eggs, I think they may eat ones that are possibly infertile or not developing because of fungus to protect the others. This is a theory I have, I will be producing a husbandry publication on the Mudpuppies this year. Hopefully we have success this year it's looking good so far, so fingers crossed.

Kind regards
Jay

Old 1st April 2014   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

That seems like a very possible theory Jay, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was the case.
Good luck with the eggs! -Seth

Old 6th June 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: crypticmonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Jay, any updates??

crypticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality: