The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding tank

This is a discussion on Breeding tank within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am setting up a very elaborate terrestrial tank for my mole salamanders. I also want to set up a ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ShaneHatlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breeding tank

I am setting up a very elaborate terrestrial tank for my mole salamanders. I also want to set up a breeding tank. The terrestrial tank will be 220 gallons 6ft long, 2 feet wide, 3o inches high. I have another matching tank. I'd like to give them access to. I will cut glass and make it safe. But what I want to know is.... is this too deep? It's 30 inches deep. Will they breed in such a deep tank? In reality, it will be 24 inches by the time I'm done with subrate and it will be very very very heavily planted.

ShaneHatlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Thumbs up Re: Breeding tank

Sounds like a very daring and ambitious project, but I'm sure the tank will be beautiful when its finished!

However, because of how deep the tank is, you might not see the salamanders very often, since they are mole salamanders, and in a huge tank. As for breeding, you have to be a bit more specific on the species you are trying to breed. Mole salamanders are a whole family! Many of them use vernal pools to breed, not underground like many Plethodontids.

LinkBack