The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma laterale vernal pools--questions

This is a discussion on Ambystoma laterale vernal pools--questions within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'm not really sure where to post this, but I just found out about a great site with lots of ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Springlizard
  • 1 Post By manderkeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: schmiggle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ambystoma laterale vernal pools--questions

I'm not really sure where to post this, but I just found out about a great site with lots of vernal pools for A. laterale near me (apparently college interviews are good for something ) and I had a few questions.
  • How do I know when they will decide it's spring? Do I basically just go very often when I think it's about the right time and hope for the best?
  • Do I have to go at night to see them? I think the park might be closed at night. :/
  • Would those pools/areas be a good spot to find A. laterale the rest of the year?
Fingers crossed...

schmiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Springlizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ambystoma laterale vernal pools--questions

I think it really depends what area you are in

I live by Chicago which wouldn't seem like a good place to find salamanders but the forest perserves around here seem to have a decent population of Ambystoma laterale.

they are native to the great lakes region so if you are outside of that I am not sure what your luck will be

my only tips would be to gently look under branches on the forest floor, I have even found them in dry weather , however you will probly have better luck when its raining

no need to wait for night time though

Springlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: schmiggle is an unknown quantity at this point

I know they're there, because there was a court case protecting the area. The issue is more in knowing when to look...I was hoping spring migration, but just don't know when that is. Good to know that you don't have to wait for nightfall.

schmiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

For Ambytoma in general:If you look at scientific journals you may be able to find details of what conditions brings them to the breeding grounds. For example, in MO spotted salamanders usually migrate on the first rainy night 50F or above and you can find hordes then. Of course they move at various other times but it's just a matter of the numbers. A lot of times salamanders can be seen in the water with a powerful flashlight at night even if it's not rainy and they aren't moving that night. Finally, check any logs in and around the breeding area and you can usually find a way that way.

Specific to your question: I would say they are not difficult to find, the ones we have in my state are mostly hybrides with Jeffersons as I understand it. I have found them under logs near their breeding sites and once I saw one out in the open mid day (granted it was very overcast). I assumed it was dead but much to my surprise it behaved normally and I got it back under shelter.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack