The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma macrodactylum

This is a discussion on Ambystoma macrodactylum within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was looking to update some of my posts...and was surprised to see I had not introduced these. Late March, ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree27Likes
  • 7 Post By bellabelloo
  • 4 Post By bellabelloo
  • 4 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By John
  • 5 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By John
  • 2 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Ambystoma macrodactylum

I was looking to update some of my posts...and was surprised to see I had not introduced these.
Late March, I received a batch of these eggs from Chris. They sat on my kitchen window ledge and hatched quite quickly. I moved them into my shed when the temperatures improved. They have quietly and slowly munched their way through microworm, various sizes of daphnia, love bloodworm , mosquito larvae, white worm and even tried some tubifex ( first time I tried this). They are now eating small pieces of earthworm.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170610_123115.jpg   Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170610_123557.jpg  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma macrodactylum

This evening I saw this one partially on the floating cork bark, so I have now moved it into a new tub with shallower water and more plants, and of course a hauling out area.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma  macrodactylum-ambystoma-macrodactylum.jpg   Ambystoma  macrodactylum-ambystoma-macrodactylum-4-.jpg  

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Noticed a hint of colour today, still aquatic.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170624_220621.jpg  

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Very nice. I raised some last year. They are already sexually mature - hoping to breed these "youngsters" in the spring.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

I had this one in a morphing tub. Shallow water, lots of plants and a hauling out spot. It was by itself as it was much larger than its siblings, it stopped eating over the last few days and spending more time with its head above water.
Today I moved it into a water bowl in its terrestrial tub, and with in the hour I saw it move onto land. This evening I popped into look and it hopped out of the water again and hid under a piece of broken pot.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170701_123017.jpg   Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170701_123920.jpg  

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Very nice. Surprisingly different to mine.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Their ancestors originally came from Eugene, Oregon approx. 20 years ago. I'm curious to see how they develop their colouration. They are lighter than the others from the same batch, but put that may be down to them being in a light coloured tub. Being on soil I expect them to darken up now.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: LisaRotcorp is an unknown quantity at this point

So adorable!! They look great. What can you feed them other than worms?

LisaRotcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Although worms are arguably the best food for most salamanders and newts, I'd imagine the occasional tweezer fed black-worms, tubifex worms and pinhead crickets would be a good dietary supplement for small freshly morphed animals such as the ones pictured

Old 1 Week Ago   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

One week on and the yellow is starting to come out more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170714_204025.jpg   Ambystoma  macrodactylum-20170714_204150.jpg  

Old 1 Week Ago   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Stunning animals!

LinkBack