The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A. maculatum larvae spitting out daphnia?

This is a discussion on A. maculatum larvae spitting out daphnia? within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have 10 A. maculatum larvae that are 4 weeks old and had, up until a couple days ago. been ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KittyKatMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A. maculatum larvae spitting out daphnia?

I have 10 A. maculatum larvae that are 4 weeks old and had, up until a couple days ago. been eating bbs. My roommate knocked over my hatchery and long story short, I decided to go with daphnia magna instead. It seemed more practical anyway because I have such a small amount of larvae and bbs die quickly.

Anyway, I ordered a culture and fed them today with the daphnia. A few were taking it really well, but others would catch one then spit it out after trying to eat it... has anyone else experienced this problem? They are all around the same size (over an inch) and only some were doing this.

KittyKatMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: A. maculatum larvae spitting out daphnia?

Maybe they are big enough for cut up blackworms, or even whole ones.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: A. maculatum larvae spitting out daphnia?

They'll be fine. Some take a while to get used to the technique of swallowing these crustaceans.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack