The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again.

This is a discussion on I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again. within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I actually first bred these guys last spring but since I had only had them for around six months I ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2010   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11
Default I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again.

I actually first bred these guys last spring but since I had only had them for around six months I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure I could replicate the results.

This year I did pretty much the samething as last year. I filled a 20 gallon long tank about 1/4th full of water and lots of leaves. The leaves seem to be important as the A. maculatum do alot of darting back and forth through it. I've tried it for a few days with just a bare bottom but got no results, they laid the very next day after I added the leaves. I put thin sticks in the tank to where the were about halfway sumberged, they like to lay their eggs on the end of sticks. I add a small pump that has a homemade rain bar attachment so that when I turn it on it looks like it is raining in the tank. During the winter the maculatums were exposed to temperatures that got as low as 7C.

You can see the eggs masses on the left side of the tank.
Click the image to open in full size.

This is about 8-10 hours post laying.

Old 15th March 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again.

congratulations, this is a very nice accompaniment on your end.

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Congratulations Justin! I was at a show in Columbia, SC yesterday. There were several dealers there with WC A. opacum and A. maculatum, it would be nice to see CB animals replace these some day. it looks as if you are well on your way to working out the details.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2010   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Brilliant, Justin!!
It seems that the "impossible" ambystomatids are finally being figured out. Here in europe A.maculatum is being bred more and more, and so is A.opacum. Hopefully your experience will help others succeed, and one day soon a CB Ambystomatid will not be a rare sight.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

haha ment to say accomplishment. I hate how when I use my PS3 it finishes words. Again great job

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Absolutely super to see! Congratulations Justin, and thanks for sharing!

Old 17th March 2010   #7 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Melmo has started on the right path

Wow, first Opacum and now Macalatum! It's funny, it's not like these processes are anything over the top, people just need to pay attention to how nature does it. Congrats!

Melmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmo View Post
Wow, first Opacum and now Macalatum! It's funny, it's not like these processes are anything over the top, people just need to pay attention to how nature does it. Congrats!
I agree, these process are nothing "over the top". The biggest problems for most people are (1) providing different summer/winter setups, and (2) getting sals cold enough, but without freezing them. One or both of these factors apply to a great many species. Everyone says they want their newts/sals to breed, but when it comes down to it, these things are not trivial to provide. My hat's off to Justin for taking the time and making the effort.

Old 18th March 2010   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

To me it seems with both of these species that a summer high temperature was, if not, just as important as the winter lows. I let the tanks of both of these species get into the low 80's. I did give them enough depth in their substrate to stay comfortable.

Old 19th March 2010   #10 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

thats nuts

Old 19th March 2010   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: stavroske has given good advice and informationstavroske has given good advice and information

Way to go Justin! This is a nice example that succes might be dependent by the small details.

Cheers,

Steven

stavroske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

You definitely have the magic touch with these guys

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: I've bred Ambystoma maculatum again.

Wow, Great job man, keep us updated on the babies

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Brilliant news! Congrats. It seems for a lots of the [I]Ambystoma[I], transferring them from the terrestrial winter setup directly into an entirely aquatic setup is the keym, rather than trying to simulate migration etc. Did you feed them up after the winter while they were still on land, or put them straight into the water? What temperature is the water, and what temp did they reach on land before the transfer?

Chris

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Once their tank temperatures hit around 4'c I started feeding them twice a week, before that they were being fed only once a week at best. I only did this for a few weeks before plopping them in. The water temperature was 10'c which was a few degrees warmer than the air temps (8'c).

Old 8th April 2010   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 4
Rep: vide has started on the right path

This is so cool! Any updates on the development?
Me and two friends who Im sharing "salamander basement" with got lucky with Ambystoma mavortium this year. Ive been meening to post a thread about this but havent gotten around to it. Hopefully I will find the time in next week though.

Congratulations again!

-Vide

vide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

They started hatching about a week ago.

Here is a container that I put the smallest egg mass in. Even with just a standard fluorescent light fixture over the tank the eggs still developed the algae. Although, it only grew around each individual egg and not the whole mass like most that I have seen in the wild.

Old 16th April 2010   #18 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Keep up the good work.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

'though I am late...Good job, Justin! Very well done!

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lupin4th is an unknown quantity at this point

HI, I am new to spotted salamanders and have a question. It sounds like you put them to the entirely aquatic setup in spring to encourage them to breed. Do you keep them in the aquatic setup until they lay eggs or do you transfer them back and forth between the terrestrial setup and the aquatic one like every evening?

Lupin4th is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack