The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New Ambystoma opacum

This is a discussion on New Ambystoma opacum within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I received 3 beautiful marbled salamanders today. They are CB 2009 and are about 10cm long. Two seem to have ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2010   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Talking New Ambystoma opacum

I received 3 beautiful marbled salamanders today.
They are CB 2009 and are about 10cm long. Two seem to have a greyish pattern and one is more white so I'm guessing they're two females and one male.
Just a couple of pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
New Ambystoma opacum-salamander4.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-salamander5.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-salamander6.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-salamander3.jpg  

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lexmiller has started on the right path
Default Re: New Ambystoma opacum

NICE! I think the Ambystomids are right at the top of the list when talking about best colors and colorations! These are great looking salamanders!

Old 10th November 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

They are lovely Eva.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Opacum has shown reliable knowledgeOpacum has shown reliable knowledge

Absolutely beautiful! GREAT markings!

Opacum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: crotusia has started on the right path
Talking Re: New Ambystoma opacum

Beautiful specimens -- A. opacum is one of my all-time favorite species although it is sometimes a challenge for me to keep them cool enough where I live in steamy South Florida. I am wondering -- where did you get CB specimens??????

crotusia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Hello Eva! Those critters are impossible to be CB2009, too big to be only from 2009 and produced in Europe. Rather WC to me as 80% of opacum offered in European union. About male/female yeah its true darker ones are rather females but in that case I guess its too soon to talk, at least in the pics they look all similar to me. I guess the difference has to be lot more pronounced like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

Are they now fatter than in those pics? They look kinda slimy.

Cheers,
Jorge

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Hi Jorge,
I got these from Dartfrog and they were sold as 2009 CB imported from Germany. Considering that Dartfrog also sells WC animals which are labelled as such, I trust this information...well, there isn't much else I can do. 10cm is the largest one.
This one seems a lot whiter than the other two so I think he's a male and the other two are girls. The difference is more obvious than the photos show.
They don't seem skinny as such but not particularly plump either so I'm going to try and fix this. Any tips on favourite foods etc. are welcome.

Old 12th November 2010   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

They look amazing, Eva!
I have to agree with Jorge, though, if they are 10cm long they are adult size, and itīs very unlikely that they would reach almost their maximum size in such a short time.
Dartfrog usually advertises which animals are WC, and i donīt think they would have a problem with selling WC A.opacum, so itīs strange. Maybe you could ask them who they got them from and contact the original breeder?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I believe you both when you say the size doesn't correspond with the age.
I was expecting them to be smaller, 6-8 cm as advertised on the website. I really wanted CB animals and I had a good feeling about them... so it is a bit disappointing
I'll see if I can get more info on their origin.
They are beautiful animals in any case and I hope I can take good care of them. I would love for them to breed in the future but worry that WC animals might not reproduce in captivity.

Old 12th November 2010   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Well, they are not easy, but WC or CB, they can be bred, so donīt despair!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Well, they are not easy, but WC or CB, they can be bred, so donīt despair!
True...

Problem is if they carry some sort of parasites :S... Highly suspicious big animals from 2009 plus the fact being slimy isn't a good sign to me but I canīt tell that this end always bad... Iīve recieved WC Paramesotriton, Laotriton and Tylototriton in the most skinny conditions possible and today they are fat huge healthy beasts, one of them (the Paramesos being breed by me already and hopefully Laotriton will follow the example this winter and Tylototriton next summer.) So your Opacum may follow the lead and get fat to be breed next year Eva!! Good luck,
Cheers,

Jorge

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Jorge, I'm not sure they could be described as slimy...? The photos were taken when we took them out of their transportation box so they were covered in mess but they didn't feel slimy when we touched them.

Old 14th November 2010   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

This is what the vivarium looks like.
Should they have a water dish or not? From what I've read about this species it seemed that they don't need it but correct me if I'm wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
New Ambystoma opacum-101114_salamanders_003.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-101111_salamanders_001.jpg  

Last edited by evut; 14th November 2010 at 18:28.
Old 15th November 2010   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

You can put a water dish in there but it isn't required.

Old 15th November 2010   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Evut, is the background with the assorted maple leaves on that tank homemade? It looks like it has a course feel to it. If so, it is wonderful! How did you make it if it is?

Old 15th November 2010   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Carlo, I did make it...nothing like a bit of primary school creativity to save money
I'll tell you how I made it but don't laugh too much.. washed leaves (caterpillars weren't allowed onto my collage), ironed them (not sure why, just seemed like a good idea), stuck to cardboard with all purpose glue and left to dry overnight with a flat weight on top. Not sure how long it's going to last but I couldn't find any cheap posters depicting forest scenery and large prints are quite pricey so this is what the guys got for now.

Old 15th November 2010   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Eva: you are my new hero! I LOVE that. It looks great! And it is unique and handcrafted. No one can boast that they have anything like it. And it does the job nicely. What more could one ask for? And see? I'm not laughing.

Old 21st November 2010   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks for your compliments, Carlo

I checked the vivarium for gone off food yesterday and inspected the salamanders at the same time. I was very pleased to see that they are getting a bit chubbier. I have been feeding them chunks of earthworm.
I have seen one of them eat twice. The way she went about it reminded me of the film Alligator The other two are more shy but obviously eating as well. Sometimes a piece of worm disappears shortly after I put it in front of their hiding place.
Attached Thumbnails
New Ambystoma opacum-101120_salamanders_003.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-101120_salamanders_006.jpg   New Ambystoma opacum-101120_salamanders_008.jpg  

Old 8th December 2010   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

How are the opacum doing?

C

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010   #20 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hi Chris, they are doing very well, thanks for asking!
I got some crickets the other day and they've been ripping them of the tweezers. It's very entertaining. When a cricket fell off and started hopping away I got to see some hunting as well. Huge earthworms are also no problem for my three little piggies.
I think they got used to their new home now. Soon I might have to start rationing their food a bit (I know obesity is an issue with this species). I still have loads of crickets, though

LinkBack