The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Housing northwestern salamanders?

This is a discussion on Housing northwestern salamanders? within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a couple of newly morphed northwestern salamanders and was wondering if there was a correct way to house ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neotenic_Jaymes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information
Default Housing northwestern salamanders?

I have a couple of newly morphed northwestern salamanders and was wondering if there was a correct way to house them. Anyone have pics?

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Housing northwestern salamanders?

They can be kept identically to tiger salamanders (check out Caudata Culture for a care article for those). They are not very bold captives though, so you might have to put food into their terrarium and then leave them alone. I'm not sure you will see them that much during the day either.

Old 7th June 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

Ok they are little piglets when it comes to worms.

Old 8th June 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They seem more shy than other Ambystoma. Gracile reminds me of maculatum but they don't seem to want to borrow as deep. They seem to prefer to borrow shallow and prefer hides right under the surface. I drop worms and crickets with them and they all seem to disappear overnight.

The setup is just like for any other Ambystoma. Dirt substrate and places to hide.
Attached Thumbnails
Housing northwestern salamanders?-img_0168.jpg   Housing northwestern salamanders?-img_0169.jpg  

Old 8th June 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

That sounds like what I have. Good thing too. They were about 4 inches when they morphed. When will they be sexable. How big do they get.

Old 8th June 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Adults range from 6-7 inches. Males might be obvious in a couple months if you have any.

Old 8th June 2012   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

OMG Jaymes, they are so cute my heart is breaking!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I wis you lived in OR otterwoman. You can't go for a walk here without seeing one.

Old 9th June 2012   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

It's my fantasy to retire there. All my favorite salamanders are native to the west coast - all the tarichas & gracile. Plus the rain forest...the people...the hippie scene...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2012   #10 (permalink)
Uwe
(uwe)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: uwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and informationuwe has given consistently excellent advice and information

How long did they take from egg to Morph. As described in literature?

Uwe

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Argus654 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live close to seattle in washington, and my friend has a rain collecton pond in a green belt behind her house. There are THOUSANDS!!! of the little buggers in their larval state ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 inches right now. I haven't seen any long toed salamander larve yet this year, but I know they use that pond for breeding too.

Old 16th December 2015   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I live California and I want to get one of these so bad but I don't think ill find one and this summer I will get to go to Oregon to hike the Rough River trail, If i were to find one how would I take it back to California

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack