The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)

This is a discussion on Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development) within the Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; These are all growing at different rates, with some being more advanced than others. You can just about see the ...

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Like Tree206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2013   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma maculatum

These are all growing at different rates, with some being more advanced than others. You can just about see the balancers on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-embryo-21-days-002.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-maculatum-016.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-maculatum-020.jpg  

Last edited by bellabelloo; 3rd May 2013 at 12:24. Reason: Forgot to add two pics.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

The first larva has hatched :)

Old 5th May 2013   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:

My first larvae, plus one thinking that reversing out may be a good idea
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-001.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-005.jpg  

Old 6th May 2013   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 16
Rep: jclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgjclee is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They are gorgeous! Congratulations.

Old 24th February 2014   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

Unfortunately I lost the few larvae that hatched

I was looking on another forum today and saw a UK gentleman has just had eggs laid from his group. I hadn't expected mine to do anything for a couple of months, as my last lot where laid early April after a rather cold spell. This winter has been rather wet and mild with only a few slight frosts here so I wasn't really expecting to see anything at all. Today has been rather mild and it had just started to rain again, but I thought it was worth trundling out to the shed to see if they were up to anything. I didn't find any eggs, but I did see plenty of activity from them. One was hopping in and out of the water and the floor of their tub has scattered groups of spermatophore :) I now have all fingers and toes crossed for eggs
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-016.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-022.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-027.jpg  

Last edited by bellabelloo; 25th November 2014 at 20:43. Reason: Hoping and Hopping confusion from confused and old :/
Old 1st March 2014   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:

After a rainy cold night, I found a small egg mass
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-009.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-021.jpg  

Old 8th March 2014   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 8... and not much has changed. I have left the eggs in where they were laid this year. The water is maybe 8-10 degrees C.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-009.jpg  

Old 8th March 2014   #28 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

How did i not see this? Congrats Julia! Fingers crossed they are fertilized and they develop well. And even if they donīt, congratulations are still in order for a repeated success in getting them to lay!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you Rodrigo :) If I look really really closely at them, there may be some development, but after last years shenanigans I am trying to be less of an egg watcher this time

Old 12th March 2014   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 12 and the eggs are changing shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambytoma-maculatum-eggs-day-12-018.jpg  

Old 12th March 2014   #31 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Yeeeeeeeesss!!
*happy developing embryo dance*

Take good care of those lovelies :)

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 16
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-eggs-day-16-001.jpg  

Old 19th March 2014   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 19.
This evening I watched the larva gently turn within their eggs.... dinner was late
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-006.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-008.jpg  

Old 19th March 2014   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Ian T has shown reliable knowledge

Sounds very therapeutic though...!

Ian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2014   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:

These are taking forever to grow Hopefully the temperatures rising towards the weekend, will encourage them to grow a little faster :).
Anyway, photo's of day 26, the water temperature was 5 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-day-26-009.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-ambystoma-maculatum-day-26-010.jpg  

Old 6th April 2014   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day 35 and the day time water temps are on average 11 degrees now. If I look really carefully I can see eyes, balancers and gills. I would think the first ones will hatch in the next few days. The pictures are not so clear now as they egg mass is looking a tad grubby and I can not get the camera to focus through to the larva. I took a few of the ones underneath today as they looked clearer, but the pictures came out distorted . All the larva, barr one or two all look well developed. Only one in the middle turned white , much like last years and one is only now looking to be developing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-005.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-007.jpg   Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-009.jpg  

Old 7th April 2014   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:

Today I spotted the first hatched larva Hatched on day 36, water temp was 12 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma maculatum ( Breeding and Larval Development)-012.jpg  

Old 7th April 2014   #38 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

Congrats once again! Very nice looking larva

jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014   #39 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I missed this too! How many morphs did you end up with last year?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:

I didn't Dawn, they all died quite early on. This time I am leaving most of them in the main tub as there looks like there is plenty of small food ready for them.

LinkBack