The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Strauchii larvae are hatching

This is a discussion on Strauchii larvae are hatching within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; My strauchii have produced viable eggs for the first time, and they are now hatching. I got the adults from ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By Molch
  • 1 Post By Stupot1610
  • 1 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman
  • 1 Post By mladaboleslaw
  • 1 Post By eizaak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2015   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Strauchii larvae are hatching

My strauchii have produced viable eggs for the first time, and they are now hatching. I got the adults from Jennewt a few years back; they were young newts then, just reaching adulthood.

While the females laid eggs every year, they have always been unfertilized, suggesting that the boys needed a bit more time growing up maybe..

interestingly, in previous years I always cooled them down in the storage room prior to egg laying, but this year I didn't do that and left them in their main tank, which was at ca. 62 F at the time they laid the eggs.

So anyways, here I am with my first strauchii larvae. I have about 30 viable eggs. Eggs are 2 different ages, suggesting 2 laying events, maybe 2 different females. I have no daphnia at the time, so I'll attempt to raise them starting with tiny chopped blackworms, at least until I can order a Daphnia culture somewhere..

Those of you who have raised strauchii, any advice on what might be different as compared to raising other species?
Old 22nd January 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Strauchii larvae are hatching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molch View Post
My strauchii have produced viable eggs for the first time, and they are now hatching. I got the adults from Jennewt a few years back; they were young newts then, just reaching adulthood.

While the females laid eggs every year, they have always been unfertilized, suggesting that the boys needed a bit more time growing up maybe..

interestingly, in previous years I always cooled them down in the storage room prior to egg laying, but this year I didn't do that and left them in their main tank, which was at ca. 62 F at the time they laid the eggs.

So anyways, here I am with my first strauchii larvae. I have about 30 viable eggs. Eggs are 2 different ages, suggesting 2 laying events, maybe 2 different females. I have no daphnia at the time, so I'll attempt to raise them starting with tiny chopped blackworms, at least until I can order a Daphnia culture somewhere..

Those of you who have raised strauchii, any advice on what might be different as compared to raising other species?
Fantastic! That's great to hear, good luck with them :)
I'm looking Forward to hearing how you get on with them.

Stuart
Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Congrats Molch! I know this a been a while coming for you, I remember seeing older posts about how they weren't successfully breeding. Good to hear it was successful this time around. Now have fun raising those larvae, and good luck!
Old 23rd January 2015   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I've missed you!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: matamander has shown reliable knowledge

Congrats! Would love to hear about their progress...
matamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

thanks all - yeah, I haven't been posting lately, mainly because I get bored with the internet, not with the newts :) All my newts are fine. I have the larvae in a simple setup and am trying to start them on chopped blackworms and brine shrimp. We'll see how it goes...
cheers
Old 28th January 2015   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Rep: mladaboleslaw has started on the right path

Click the image to open in full size. Re: Strauchii larvae are hatching
Congrats Molch...Supper!!![/QUOTE]
mladaboleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2015   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

so far so good. They have started well on chopped blackworms and growing fast.
Old 29th January 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 2
Rep: eizaak is an unknown quantity at this point

Very cool, congrats and please post pics of development !
eizaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Rep: mladaboleslaw has started on the right path

[QUOTE=mladaboleslaw;438163]Click the image to open in full size. Re: Strauchii larvae are hatching
Congrats Molch...Super!!!
mladaboleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

How are you getting on with these?
Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hi all,
quick update: The remaining larvae thrived and have now all morphed in to 16 fat, shiny little spotted newtlets. They look great and eat everything that's not nailed down. I should take pics and post those in a few days!