The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?

This is a discussion on Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates? within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi all, update on my strauchii larvae: they are doing well, mostly. An interesting phenomenon has emerged, however: I have ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Molch
  • 2 Post By Molch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2015   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?

Hi all,
update on my strauchii larvae: they are doing well, mostly. An interesting phenomenon has emerged, however:

I have 2 batches of larvae, about 2 -3 weeks apart, presumably from 2 different layings by 2 females. I have 2 males so the fathers may be different too.

In the second (younger) batch all grow at approximately the same rate, give or take a small percentage.

In the first(older) batch however, half of the larvae stopped growing a while ago while the other half soldiered on merrily and are now 3-4 times bigger than the stragglers.

how come?

the natural assumption would be that the stragglers aren't eating, but that's not the case. When I add food (chopped blackworms, bloodworms and earthworms) I can clearly see them eat and fill their bellies - they just won't grow anymore.

So, the predictable thing has started to happen: some of the stragglers have been eaten by their bigger siblings. :) Oh well, I figure that's Mama Nature's way, and fine with me since these stragglers clearly have something wrong with them and I assume they might not make it to metamorphosis anyways.

I wonder if the stragglers could have inherited a bum gene that hampers their growth. I'm wondering if anyone else raising strauchii has seen a similar phenomenon?

I have attached pics of both batches, taken a couple weeks ago - the size differences in the unequal batch have only increased since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?-younger-batch-more-less-equal.jpg   Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?-older-batch-unequal-growth-rates.jpg  
Old 27th March 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path
Default Re: Strauchii larvae - unequal growth rates?

You should separate the smaller ones from the bigger ones. While I agree that it's a good way of Mother Nature to eliminate the weaker ones they might of had a good chance of surviving and being healthy. It is a bit weird that they are growing at different rates. If they are all eating the same amount. Do you have all your adults in 1 tank, how big is your group and how big is the tank? Regardless congrats on your eggs and offspring :)
velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Crazy, I've never had a growth discrepancy like that. Every year there are always a few over achievers that outpace their siblings but that is remarkable. I would most likely have culled them too.
otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2015   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

just a quick update: the remaining larvae did very well and grew into fine strapping lil newtlets, now all morphed and kept aquatically. They eat everything and look great. Will post pics soon!