The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My Neurergus crocatus Magnum Opus

This is a discussion on My Neurergus crocatus Magnum Opus within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Now that things are more settled here after the rush to get animals before the ban, I want to build ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Methos5K
  • 1 Post By Methos5K
  • 3 Post By Methos5K
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Methos5K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Methos5K has shown reliable knowledgeMethos5K has shown reliable knowledge
Default My Neurergus crocatus Magnum Opus

Now that things are more settled here after the rush to get animals before the ban, I want to build an amazing habitat for my new newt family members. I have decided on a 40G breeder tank, a 55G would be too large for the area. I am keeping them totally aquatic, but with so much space to work with I would like to create an area of stacked rocks and emerging spiderwood with Java Moss. Filtration and a light current will be provided by a Fluval U3 submersible. Much of the bottom will be covered in slate; but I will have one area covered in sand, the other covered with dwarf pennywort mats (a front lawn for the large cave/hide). Lighting is a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 automated 6500K LED.

I would love any advice for this project.

Old 26th February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: My Neurergus crocatus Magnum Opus

Started with a Marineland 40G Breeder. One half is covered in a single slab of slate, the other with premium aquarium sand. A large piece of spiderwood is anchored to a rock with live Java moss vines. Added a mat of microsword in the sand to create an oasis, Java moss mats in front of the slate piece to serve as a front lawn for the castle. PFDs include cork bark with moss, floating log with moss and a corner floating turtle dock. Primary filtration is by a Fluval U3, secondary by one air-driven sponge filter with established bacteria.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Day two. Added the Newt Castle. A local artist makes these handmade stoneware aquarium pieces (Tom's Aquatic Ceramics). Added the first little bit of live plants, mostly Anacharis (Elodea densa), Water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides), Java fern (Microsorum pteropus), Java Moss (Vesicularia dubyana), Willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica), Bacopa and Cabomba.

Installed the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED automated light. A cool crocodile skull, 2 white cloud minnows and some random potted plants from established tanks with beneficial bacteria; Biospira added; sponge filters from older tanks swapped in. Cycle!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 26th February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Looks great already! :)
I'll be interested to see how the LED lights perform, I need to buy LED lights for two of my tanks and can't get the Beamswork double bright ones I normally use any more.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Looks great already! :)
I'll be interested to see how the LED lights perform, I need to buy LED lights for two of my tanks and can't get the Beamswork double bright ones I normally use any more.
I have been using this light for nearly all of my tanks, it's beautiful! This light recreates the natural day-night cycle. Beginning with a cool lit dawn, transitions in to a warm sunrise morning, followed by an intense color blazing high noon, scaling down to a red sun drowned sunset and finishes with a starry night blue moonlight. It is all done on a timer and is gradual. Comes with a remote, programmable color patterns, and various settings. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 27th February 2016   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 130
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

That looks awesome, can't wait to see the finished product!

LinkBack