The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How frequently do kaisers get air

This is a discussion on How frequently do kaisers get air within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello I recently came into a beautiful specimen of Kaiser newt and noticed that she barely ever comes up for ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Noodlethenewt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How frequently do kaisers get air

Hello I recently came into a beautiful specimen of Kaiser newt and noticed that she barely ever comes up for air. She is not stuck she just stays under water I wanted to time her and see how long she would stay under but I couldn't wait for her to come up and stopped. Do yours also stay under water for ever when I compare her to my notophthalmus they come up so much more frequently it is miraculous.
Thanks in advance -Luke
Noodlethenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: How frequently do kaisers get air

In the book Threatened Newts and Salamanders - Guidelines for Conservation Breeding, Gunther Schultschik writes "If their water is rich in oxygen, they will hardly ever come to the surface to take in atmospheric air. Breathing through the skin appears to be entirely sufficient for N. Kaiseri", so you might have been waiting a long time with the stopwatch! ;)
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: How frequently do kaisers get air

I agree with Chinadog. Also consider the temperature of the water. Colder water is able to hold more dissolved oxygen than warmer water. Additionally, if she's not moving about too much, her oxygen requirements will be much less too.
Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote