The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

The demise of my Neurergus kaiseri

This is a discussion on The demise of my Neurergus kaiseri within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have been keeping N kaiseri and N strauchii since Feb 2010. I have kept both groups aquatic the entire ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2013   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: The demise of my Neurergus kaiseri

I have been keeping N kaiseri and N strauchii since Feb 2010. I have kept both groups aquatic the entire time. Both have areas to get out of the water, but rarely do. I have caught them at times late at night out of the water. I have produced N strauchii for 3 years now and have had N kaiseri eggs for 3 years as well. I did not have a male kaiseri until late last year. So I anticipate getting fertile eggs from them next year. I have not lost a single animal. Additionally, I have kept back strauchii from my offspring and to date, I have not had a single morphed animal die on me!!! I have lost larvae and have had some cannibalism from time to time. I see it the most just before morphing. They seem to get more aggessive and eat a TON!!!
Tim Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2013   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kettering bloke has given consistently good advice and informationkettering bloke has given consistently good advice and informationkettering bloke has given consistently good advice and information

Hi I know this is an old thread but no one has mentioned UV lighting (the sort you use in big tanks and ponds) . Its used when farms are not on mains water as well to reduce the germ load of the water. If you use it after the canister filter and return the water direct from it it should kill most if not all the considerable germ load that these biological filters produce without affecting the de-nitrifying action of the filter. I have read about the quoted wattage having to be half a watt per/Litre of tank volume (that does sound quite large). If these animals are succumbing to a biological infection it would in theory go some way to reducing the problem . I hope some one has some comments on this as I am thinking of building tanks to breed this species .regards KB
kettering bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by morg View Post
A very old thread here that I think would be interesting to resserect now that times have moved on, and a lot more people are keeping Neurergus species.

What have people found through the years since this thread? have people had simular losses keeping Neurergus aquatic?

Have people had losses keeping terrestrial?

Have some of you kept Neurergus completely aquatic for years and had no problems??
He said that he had just changed all their water; although its a different species, I was specifically warned by my breeders not to keep Neurergus crocatus too clean.
Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

What would qualify as " too clean"?
velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2015   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

Anybody have any more issues with their newts getting sick of dying for unknown reasons?
velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
demise, kaiseri, neurergus

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 17th April 2017, 11:24 (Set) (Clear)

Methos5K, Palex134, Poohbie