The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri

This is a discussion on Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Caudata.org's N. kaiseri page: "In light of the endangered status of these animals, it is critically important that the animals ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2008   #1 (permalink)
EVA

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: EVA has started on the right path
Default Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri

Caudata.org's N. kaiseri page: "In light of the endangered status of these animals, it is critically important that the animals now in captivity be bred."

We have five healthy 2001-2002 WC animals available for breeding (2 female, 2 male, 1 TBA). They are kept in individual terrestrial cages at ~15 C, 44% humidity, on a natural Pacific Northwest photoperiod. They are fed crickets and fly larvae weekly. They have been largely unmolested for the last 6-7 years except for by me (I lead school children on tours of our labs).

I am a graduate student in a herpetological lab that houses these animals. I am resourceful, my time is cheap, and I have been aching to try to help ever since I read your page on them. Before I embark, I have a few questions for this forum:

1. Are these animals too old to reproduce?

2. At this point in the year, should I induce a 40-50 day "cold snap" (5-10 C) then place them in an aquarium with gradually increasing temperatures (up to 20-25 C) OR should I move them to an aquarium ASAP (sans cold snap)?

3. Should breeding pairs be placed together in an aquarium or should I place all five together?

4. Any other general breeding/care advice?

5. Assuming we can generate healthy offspring, can you connect me with legitimate people/institutions with proper resources for caring for N. kaiseri?

Thank you!

EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Have you done a search on this site for all the info available? Here are a few recent threads:

Raising Neurergus kaiseri

Neurergus kaiseri eggs

http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthr...hlight=kaiseri

I am also intrigued by the plight of this animal, though I don't have any. Good luck, and I'm sure people that know will chime in soon!

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008   #3 (permalink)
EVA

Nationality:
Rep: EVA has started on the right path

Thank you for your input. I have already read all of the threads on this board regarding N.k., but I still have some questions.

EVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2008   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

My w.c. and c.b. kaiseri are breeding right now. My guess is yours are not to old to breed. I'd set them up aquatic or aquatic with a land area and let them have at it. They do well in a colony. Your temps should be fine but it wouldn't hurt to lower it a couple degrees.

It's the breeding season and healthy N. kaiseri aren't difficult to breed. The difficulty is getting healthy specimens.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2008   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I agree that they are not too old to reproduce. Are they kept individually in order to reduce chances of contagion? From what I've read, aggression isn't a problem. I suspect that a cooling period would improve the chances, but I have no personal experience with this species.

Does anyone know... what is the current status of N. kaiseri studbooks for hobbyists? Is there an active one, and can North Americans join, or do we need to have our own on this side of the pond? (Sadly, I would say that zoos and hobbyists are always going to have separate studbooks, as hobbyists aren't very reliable in the long-term, and zoos aren't willing to deal with them. Being a herp lab, I'm not sure where you would fit in, but the zoo people might be willing to include you on their side of the divide.)

Last edited by Jennewt; 6th March 2008 at 05:20.
Jennewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: jimmies1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri

When should I start to lower the water for breeding Kaiser newts? I saw one article saying Dec through March. Is this true?.

jimmies1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017   #7 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Establishing a captive breeding program for N. kaiseri

This thread is real old. You might get a better response if you start a new thread.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, captive, establishing, kaiseri, program

LinkBack