The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

N.Crocatus set up.

This is a discussion on N.Crocatus set up. within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I received some c.b Crocatus juvs from Gersfeld at the end of last year. They are growing well and are ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Davo
  • 3 Post By RobM
  • 1 Post By Davo
  • 1 Post By Davo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information
Default N.Crocatus set up.

I received some c.b Crocatus juvs from Gersfeld at the end of last year. They are growing well and are kept in a realy useful tub with plenty of ventilation. Substrate is peat free multi purpose compost mixed 50-50 with coco fibre. A small water bowl and moss is kept at the damp end, with a cork bark stack that has a damp and drier area. They seem to like it a bit damper than Kaiseri but other than that they are kept the same. They are eating 2nd crickets dusted with nutrabol, lesser waxworm larvae and tropical woodlice.
They dont seem that bothered about earthworms or live bloodworm. They are kept at room temperature.
The markings and colour are stunning, the photos dont do them justice. They are fast becoming one of my favourites!
Attached Thumbnails
N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0077.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0079.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0082.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0089.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0091.jpg  

N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0093.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0094.jpg   N.Crocatus set up.-dsc_0101.jpg  

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: N.Crocatus set up.

I'm so jealous! Can't wait for these to be available in the US. You keep kaiseri also?

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012   #3 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: benw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgbenw is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They are looking really good , Martin.
Good to see,

Ben

SALAMANDRA KEPT - algira algira, algira tingitana, alfredschmidti, almanzoris,atra atra, bejarae,bernadezi,bechkovi,corsica,crespoi,fastuos a,gallaica, gigliolli,hispanica,infraimaculata semenovi, lanzai, longirostris,morenica, salamandra,terrestris( red, solling,normal), werneri,
benw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and information

They are gorgeous!! You are very lucky. Some day, some day!!

Tim Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: RobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgRobM is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm pretty sure you have too many of these Martin. I would be glad to help and take some off your hands!

I've always found my Kaiseri to be less than interested in Bloodworms (earthworms being a different matter), perhaps its not a very natural sort of prey type for most Neurergus species.

How bold have they been?

Old 29th January 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information

Hi Linus, yes i also keep Kaiseri, i have bred them for the last 2 years, i have kept 15 back and have recently got some juvs from 2 other bloodlines for future breeding.

Hi Rob, they are similar to Kaiseri to keep, mostly hide away in the cork bark stack, when you move the bark to check on them they will eat in front of you no problem, i cant wait to see the in the aquatic stage, a few years yet! As for too many, there are 15 of them but some of them are a good friends who is letting me rear them up so that we get a good mix of males and females for future breeding, fingers crossed!

Cheers, Martin.

Old 29th January 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Any behavioral differences between Crocatus and Kaiseri? Do they act the same?

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

As terrstrial juvs they are pretty much the same, hiding away in the cork bark stack by day and hunting by night, they will feed in the day as do Kaiseri, but mostly active after dark.
I am not sure if they can be raised aquatic like Kaiseri and Strauchii, i dont know that much about how other people are raising them, maybe if they are bred in the future different rearing methods will be tried and like the Kaiseri and Strauchii the most successful methods will be adopted and start to produce juvs.
I have a magazine that is in German (i dont speak German) but it has photographs of adult Crocatus and they are quite a large newt, certainly a lot bigger than Kaiseri.
If anybody else is keeping Crocatus maybe they could add any tips or rearing methods on this thread?

Old 30th January 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: methodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and informationmethodik has given good advice and information

Hello Martin,

I just wanted to let you know, that if you want to know what the article says, I would be glad to help you with a translation, as I keep N. strauchii barani but am also interested in crocatus and derjugini.

If you didn't already use google translate or similar and would like me to translate (also good exercise for me), just PM me.

Old 3rd February 2012   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi Jakob,
Thanks for the offer, the magazine is at a friends who is getting it tranlated, if the translation has any usefull information on keeping or breeding Crocatus i will add it on this thread.
If the translation is not completed i will take up your kind offer.

Old 3rd March 2012   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: Autum is an unknown quantity at this point

I love your setup! I love crocatus as well. I would love a group some day.

Autum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jaku is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Hi Jakob,
Thanks for the offer, the magazine is at a friends who is getting it tranlated, if the translation has any usefull information on keeping or breeding Crocatus i will add it on this thread.
If the translation is not completed i will take up your kind offer.
Congrats Martin! they are gorgeous.

Is that magazine already traslated? any useful info about them?

I have the possibility to buy 3 CB N.crocatus (around 8 cm) but I've read they dead suddenly when subadults, any new info about that? did that happen with F1 or also with F2, F3, etc...?

I whish you the best of luck with them.

Jaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

The magazine is still at my friends who has been out of the country, so it is not yet translated.

I have read the article about the losses as the mature, i read it on the salamanderland website, this was over 10 years ago and since then others have bred them and there seem to be more captive bred juvs about.
Mine are growing very well, i will take some updated photos over the next week or so.

LinkBack