The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

N. Kaiseri full of eggs.

This is a discussion on N. Kaiseri full of eggs. within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; My female Kaiseri has been filling up with eggs and looks huge but healthy,in the past when i have bred ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Davo
  • 2 Post By Mark
  • 1 Post By Davo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information
Default N. Kaiseri full of eggs.

My female Kaiseri has been filling up with eggs and looks huge but healthy,in the past when i have bred them they have started laying quite quickly once they start to get to the huge stage.
She has been like this for 3 or 4 weeks, cloaca is volcanoe shaped and she is eating very well. She has 5 males fanning her and all looks well except no eggs.
I was thinking she might be laying in the night and the eggs were getting eaten but i have not found one egg and i would have thought if they were being eaten i would spot the odd egg that were missed.Also in the past when the have layed you can watch them laying day or night, there have been no signs of egg laying at all. Water temps are 58-60 F, the temps are dropping here so i am doing small water changes every few days with very cold water from my water butts outside.

So my question is has any of the other Kaiseri breeders had females hold onto eggs for 3 or 4 weeks without laying?
I was also thinking of putting her in a seperate aquarium i have set up with just 2 males in case the others are egg eating, i can fill it with water from the aquarium she is in at the moment and have an external filter matured and running, thoughts on this please.

Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Davo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and informationDavo has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: N. Kaiseri full of eggs.

Here are a few pictures of her i have just taken.
Attached Thumbnails
N. Kaiseri full of eggs.-dsc_0001.jpg   N. Kaiseri full of eggs.-dsc_0005.jpg   N. Kaiseri full of eggs.-dsc_0010.jpg  

Old 8th December 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

My oldest female looks like this ALL year round. Curious, do you offer a terrestrial period or are they aquatic all year Martin?

Old 8th December 2012   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I don't think you should worry about it. They will lay when ready. I wouldn't say that female is particularly large, just well fed :) Mine look like that most of the year, even now at 10C, terrestrial and eating less. When aquatic I've seen female cloaca swell into the volcano shape on a seemingly random basis, it doesn't necessarily lead to egg laying.

Here's a shot just now of some of mine for comparison. I probably won't add the 2 big girls in the corner to the water until mid Jan.
Attached Thumbnails
N. Kaiseri full of eggs.-img_5598.jpg  

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for responding so quickly, i feel a bit more relaxed now and will leave her where she is with the other 11.
I have let them go aquatic a bit earlier this time, i was fed up with nothing in the aquarium in the living room, it is left running all year with just a few snails and plants in until the kaiseri are ready.

After reading other Kaiseri breeders sucess keeping them aquatic all year i plan on keeping several in the aquarium all year and see how they go.

They do have a terrestrial period and have been aquatic since the end of Sept-october. The cloaca was just swelling when i introduced them to the water, as for well fed, she is a bit of a pig and is always there first at feeding time!

Nice pictures,it is always nice to see other breeders Kaiseri!

Old 19th May 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

I am interested in seeing pictures of the set up when keeping them terrestrial.. I am thinking of possibly keeping some kaisers in a terrestrial set up for breeding purposes. Also would love to see pictures of everybody's kaisers for comparison purposes.. Did you see a major difference in breeding when keeping aquatic all year long vs terrestrial? And what kind of food would we provide when terrestrial.. ?

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack