The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Neurergus kaiseri started laying before cooling period

This is a discussion on Neurergus kaiseri started laying before cooling period within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I got everything setup to move my 1.1 Neurergus kaiseri to their cooling cage but when I went to pull ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By Willlis
  • 1 Post By Tim Robin
  • 3 Post By Willlis
  • 3 Post By Willlis
  • 1 Post By gar4016
  • 7 Post By Willlis
  • 4 Post By Willlis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information
Default Neurergus kaiseri started laying before cooling period

I got everything setup to move my 1.1 Neurergus kaiseri to their cooling cage but when I went to pull them out I notice that the female was full blown volcano status and there were all ready eggs in the cage. The cage was in need of some serious plant trimming and I had been holding off to do it until after they were moved so I didn't realize they were laying. All of the eggs are white in color, maybe a little dark spot here or there. I pulled the eight eggs I could easily find but I don't know what a fertilized kaiseri egg looks like. These so far look just like the ones she laid last year that never developed. Any thoughts on what I should do are appreciated. I guess I won't be cooling them? Or should I try and see if that helps with fertility?

Willlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sawyer has started on the right path
Default Re: Neurergus kaiseri started laying before cooling period

Sorry for not being able to answer this as of yet, but I am curious to others resolutions in situations like so. Hopefully a few members could assist with knowledge from their similar personal experiences.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and informationTim Robin has given consistently excellent advice and information

What is the current water temp? In my experience, N kaiseri do not need as drastic of a cooling period as N strauchii. I do no know of a direct correlation between cooling and fertility. I would leave them be and not mess with them since they are seemingly content and producing eggs.

Tim Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information

Current water temp is 65-68 F I can't really lower it much more than that where they are right now. I just didn't know if there was anything else I could do to help with fertility. I guess next year I'll try and cool them earlier. Time just got away from me this year.

Old 4th January 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: browbli has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

I have seen this happen now for a couple years. You will not see the yeilds a chilled female will produce, but the eggs should still be viable,

browbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well went I did my egg hunt tonight I found 2 larvae swimming in the cage with the adults but couldn't catch them. The eggs I pulled are developing and I found several eggs about to hatch that I moved as well as about a dozen other new eggs

Old 16th January 2013   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

A picture of one of the babies out and about. I've seen them going after the little critters in the cage so it would seem they are eating. I've also got brine shrimp hatching every few days to supplement.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 16th January 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Sawyer has started on the right path

Pretty cool. Hope they grow into some beauties for you here soon.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Eft Lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Exciting! I love to read about "accidents" like this :)

Eft Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: XDragonGrlX is an unknown quantity at this point

I just love these newts! Hope I am able to own some of my own some day soon. Congrats on the babies :)

XDragonGrlX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Update: The babies seem to be doing quite well. Several now have all four limbs and I think just about big enough to start really munching on blackworms. Till then its microfauna and BBS

Old 11th February 2013   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gar4016 has shown reliable knowledge

Congrats! I always find that once they start stalking and eating blackworms that growth really picks up.

gar4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

They are hard to get to sit still but most of the larvae are now right around this size. I did go through the main tank the other day and found some very small ones who were still hiding. They are now moved to another tank, but the rest are really munching down on live blackworms now. Its fun to see how much they have grown.

Old 14th March 2013   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: newtbabies is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, beautiful little guys. Keep us updated, please! With pictures if possible. :)

newtbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thought I should post some updated photos...

LinkBack