The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Move to garage for winter cooling

This is a discussion on Move to garage for winter cooling within the Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; This weekend I moved my 4 Neurergus tanks to the garage for winter cooling. Overnight they dropped from 16C (60F) ...

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Jennewt
  • 1 Post By Jennewt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2013   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Move to garage for winter cooling

This weekend I moved my 4 Neurergus tanks to the garage for winter cooling. Overnight they dropped from 16C (60F) to 9C (48F).

This picture shows 3 of the tanks. The fourth was placed afterward in the small space remaining on the left.

Click the image to open in full size.

They like being cold, and really got busy quick: the next morning I found spermatophores in the strauchii tank! (The spermatophores are the two white dots in the photo. The female seems to be eying one of them.)

Old 2nd December 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Adogowo has started on the right path

Awesome news congratulations!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Old 2nd December 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path
Default Re: Move to garage for winter cooling

Lucky you :) What is the coldest that it gets where you live? I live in Chicago and it gets below freezing here sometimes..I live in the basement and its generally colder and I have my newt room in the bathroom and theres a window that I can crack open in case I need it to get colder. I also have newts in my room where the temp is 60-70 top. My question is if I should move my younger newts to my warmer room because I noticed that their appetite has slowed down a bit or should I just keep them in the colder room?

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

In the past 10 years our coldest outdoor temperature was -28C(-20F). The air temp rarely drops below freezing in the garage, and moving water won't freeze right at the freezing point, so it would have to go below freezing in order for a tank to freeze.

Old 30th December 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: maisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Your newts are beautiful!

maisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: donsturtles is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm glad for this information and good to know
sorry i can not offer any insight on this. but i am glad to found a site about newts.

donsturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: naeff002 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put my strauchii in my newt shed to. The temperature are now around 8C. I hope for the same result as with you.

naeff002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
Lucky you :) What is the coldest that it gets where you live? I live in Chicago and it gets below freezing here sometimes..I live in the basement and its generally colder and I have my newt room in the bathroom and theres a window that I can crack open in case I need it to get colder. I also have newts in my room where the temp is 60-70 top. My question is if I should move my younger newts to my warmer room because I noticed that their appetite has slowed down a bit or should I just keep them in the colder room?
I would suggest keeping them warmer until their older from what I've been told.

Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Nat1 has started on the right path

In your 4 tanks, do you have all 4 species? If so, are they all adults? I keep juvinille Neurergus crocatus, and the breeders(not some idiot from a pet shop, told me the conditions they had been succesful with. They told me that the young have a hard time surviving because most people try to keep them too cold. They had success keeping them between 22 and 24C! Curious to hear from anyone who keeps N. crocatus. Of course it would be easier keeping them in the shed outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
This weekend I moved my 4 Neurergus tanks to the garage for winter cooling. Overnight they dropped from 16C (60F) to 9C (48F).

This picture shows 3 of the tanks. The fourth was placed afterward in the small space remaining on the left.

They like being cold, and really got busy quick: the next morning I found spermatophores in the strauchii tank! (The spermatophores are the two white dots in the photo. The female seems to be eying one of them.)

Nat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2015   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

cute! I hope you told those females where to stick those spermatophores, as they look like they would rather eat them for lunch

LinkBack