The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Variants of taricha granulosa

This is a discussion on Variants of taricha granulosa within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I recently became a new owner of 4 taricha granulosa juveniles. A favorite newt of mine and a friend, (Seth), ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By joemomma1016
  • 2 Post By Otterwoman
  • 2 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 4 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By joemomma1016
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: joemomma1016 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Variants of taricha granulosa

I recently became a new owner of 4 taricha granulosa juveniles. A favorite newt of mine and a friend, (Seth), he brought up the individuals I got may have been from an Idaho population. Can anyone tell a difference in locality of these newts? Different physical features or how they act? Just curious and was interested to see what people thought. Thanks.

joemomma1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Variants of taricha granulosa

Sometimes the only way to tell them apart is know the location first. I'm sure that there would be some differences depending on the local conditions, but I don't think anyone could really tell you.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Animals from the Palouse are derived from coastal OR or WA. It's not clear if they are introduced, but they likely don't differ noticeably. It's not likely that these captive animals came from ID unless someone specifically went to one of the very few known sites to get them.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Only thing I can think of is that there is a non-toxic (Or abnormally less toxic) population of newts somewhere, I think in Oregon. Other than that there isn't much that makes the newts different, not much variation to my knowledge

Old 28th February 2017   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Just now seeing this Joe, sorry for a late response!

These newts are in fact from Idaho, i have talked with the seller who is conducting research on Idaho populations of these newts with his University. These animals were collected as eggs.

As for variation, there is a bit. Mountain populations don't uncommonly exhibit ventral dark patches, or so I've heard, and abberant individuals have also been found. Some localities also have dorsal dark patches, though i am not sure how common that is. Head shape, size, and toxicity all vary depending on location. I read (though i can remember where) that southern populations are usually larger than northern. Also, northern Oregon populations are apparently the most toxic.

Really excited to see how these do for you Joe!

Old 4th March 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: joemomma1016 has shown reliable knowledge

Wow I was hoping you'd see this post Seth! That's a lot of interesting info. I will try to keep y'all updated!

joemomma1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Not to distract from the main point of the thread, but I did find that article I was talking about the less toxic population: http://faculty.virginia.edu/brodie/f...Naturalist.pdf

Tags
idaho, oregon, taricha granulosa

LinkBack