The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Need some advice for rough skinned newts

This is a discussion on Need some advice for rough skinned newts within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, I recently got some rough skin newt eggs and they are starting to hatch out and I need advice ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: patrickstar116 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice for rough skinned newts

Hello, I recently got some rough skin newt eggs and they are starting to hatch out and I need advice for a tank set up for them for when they morph. I also need help figuring out what foods to feed them I have a brine shrimp hatchery set up, white worm culture and dwarf isopods.

patrickstar116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Need some advice for rough skinned newts

Blackworms are also good. I start an egg tank by putting water and some crinkled leaves in. I use the "dirty tank" method. You can do a search on this site. Others use a "clean tank" method. I don't change the water much until they are fairly big. Then after they morph you can use a dirt tank.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: patrickstar116 is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the dirty tank method

patrickstar116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Try doing a "search" of that. Basically it's like using pond water, but you make your own. I put leaves in water and use a little water from another tank. Other people use clean water and change it a lot. That's what I mean.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack