The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Are my eastern newts trying to breed?

This is a discussion on Are my eastern newts trying to breed? within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was feeding when I saw my smaller newt locked on to my larger newt, both mostly motionless. He had ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kane775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my eastern newts trying to breed?

I was feeding when I saw my smaller newt locked on to my larger newt, both mostly motionless. He had his legs on her (assuming) chest and tried eating while still attached. I broke them up out of fear she was being hurt. In hindsight I think it might have been amplexus. They're most likely wild caught, I got them in spring, they're settled and are both very fat. Maybe just wishful thinking but is it possible?

Kane775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2017   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Are my eastern newts trying to breed?

that sounds like amplexus to me.
Do a google image search on "notophthalmus amplexus".

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Kane775 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are my eastern newts trying to breed?

oh yeah, this is definitely it. thank you

Kane775 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack