The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How much space for each red-spotted?

This is a discussion on How much space for each red-spotted? within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; how much space does each adult need right now i have 2 in a ten gallon filled to within an ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2006   #1 (permalink)
lauren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

how much space does each adult need right now i have 2 in a ten gallon filled to within an inch of teh top. with a zoomed turtle dock as a land area. a bunch of anacharis and a submersable filter.

and one more newt is in 12x8 ish critter keeper with some anacharis a rock and couple inches of water, i had to seperate her becuase she wasnt getting any food.

do the 2 in the ten gallon have enough space?
how big a tank to a need to keep my skinny girl separate from them?

Old 28th February 2006   #2 (permalink)
karen

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Two to a 10 gallon tank is fine, I've even kept 3 to that size tank. If you add the third newt back and find she isn't getting food, perhaps you can use a divider in a 20 gallon tank.

Old 28th February 2006   #3 (permalink)
lauren

Gallery Images:
Comments:

what would be the minimum for one newt, I think I would like to keep the thin one seperate becuase the other 2 apear to be male and i dont want them stressing her out.
I have a 5 and a 20 gallon the five seems to small and teh 20 to big so im guessing I'll have to go to walmart and pickup a new ten gal

Old 28th February 2006   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to keep a single Notophthalmus in a 5-gallon tank long-term. If it has at least 3 gallons of water and you are conscientious about partial water changes, it would be fine. Of course, a 10-gallon would be even better.

Old 13th March 2006   #5 (permalink)
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

In general, there is a minimum, or rather a starting point, for any newt, or amphibian for that matter. For Notos, I figure minimum of a 5 gallon tank with 2.5 gallons for each additional animal. The more water space the better though, because it keeps down ammonia and other harmful chemicals. Good luck, Alex.

Tags
redspotted, space

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 12th September 2017, 13:01 (Set) (Clear)

Gibster477
LinkBack