The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Sex ratios for keeping red-spotted newts

This is a discussion on Sex ratios for keeping red-spotted newts within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tank for some Eastern Red-Spotted newts I plan to ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2005   #1 (permalink)
lenora

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am in the process of setting up a 30 gallon tank for some Eastern Red-Spotted newts I plan to buy on Saturday. I thought get 5 or 6. I'm not sure if I'm interested in breeding them later, but I do want to have the proper sex ratio to keep them happy and peaceful. What do you think is a good sex ratio for this species?
Old 12th May 2005   #2 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

More females than males. I'd recommend 2 males and 4 females. During breeding season, the males can be quite... um... assertive with the females. Since amplexus involves a strangle-hold, it's not a good situation for the females when they are outnumbered.

Tags
keeping, newts, ratios, redspotted, sex

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 3rd May 2014, 17:24 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.