The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notophthalmus fungus susceptibility

This is a discussion on Notophthalmus fungus susceptibility within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I've read that Notophthalmus are especially susceptible to fungal infection, and that a lifespan in captivity may be as short ...

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and informationkwksand has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Notophthalmus fungus susceptibility

I've read that Notophthalmus are especially susceptible to fungal infection, and that a lifespan in captivity may be as short as 3 years. I know from reading threads here that some of you have had success keeping these newts nearly 20 years. So here is a question for the "pros". What are the three most important tricks to keeping these newts happy and healthy. I am familiar with the basic requirements (water changes, temps below 70 C), but I'm hoping to avoid disease altogether. Thanks.

kwksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Notophthalmus fungus susceptibility

I've kept mine in captivity about 5 years, and I don't do anything special but water changes, I never check the chemistry, and feeding them earthworms. I have a lot of plants in there, mostly java moss at this point.

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I never heard of such a thing....but if you want to avoid diseases....CB animals are the way to go....

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: lilsoul has shown reliable knowledgelilsoul has shown reliable knowledge

I don't anything special and I have had mine for about 8 years now and they breed all the time.

lilsoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fungus, notophthalmus, susceptibility

LinkBack