The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Taricha Rivularis

This is a discussion on Taricha Rivularis within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Here is one of the babies. His name is Bruno....

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th December 2013   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Taricha Rivularis

Here is one of the babies. His name is Bruno.
Attached Thumbnails
Taricha Rivularis-017.jpg   Taricha Rivularis-018.jpg   Taricha Rivularis-020.jpg  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

eMax - I'm not sure of the official reasoning behind the change. But given that they aren't edible, have a very limited range and are generally uncommon (unless you know where to look during breeding season) I'd say its a law that makes sense.

It is both unfortunate and likely a positive for the species long term numbers that this basically ends their legal collection. T. torosa was added to the no-take list several years ago as well. Hopefully Dawn and the few others on this board who keep/breed T. rivularis will have some available in the future. I would have liked to work with this species but given I live in CA again and the recent reg change that unfortunately won't be happening.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013   #23 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

If I can get them to breed in significant numbers of course they will be available. Maybe if everyone wishes them luck....

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 15th December 2013   #24 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Luck.....Luck.....Luck......Luck.

Old 16th December 2013   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: eMax is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I'll just have to wish otterwoman and her newts plenty of luck! :)

Thanks for that additional info Perry. It does indeed make sense for the species, but is unfortunate for those who would like to see the captive broodstock expanded legally.

eMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014   #26 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Any updates on these guys? How are the young doing? I hope it all turned out good!

Old 3rd September 2014   #27 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I have 11 juveniles, they eat well, just slowly growing up.

Old 3rd September 2014   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jbaker8484 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very cute newts. I live in Northern California and I have seen many of these newts hanging around our creeks. They seem very terrestrial in my experience. They are always hanging out in streams, so I would think that they would do good with a more powerful flow filter (while over newts dislike them).

My dream tank is a redwood forest themed palladarium with these guys. Lots of redwood sorrel and maybe some redwood saplings. And an old small redwood stump as the center piece.

jbaker8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2016   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I keep these in about 3 or 4 inches of water with lots of haul-outs, including soil. Just posting an update. The juveniles have not bred but they are still small. I feed them chopped nightcrawlers in a dish under the water.
Sorry these are crappy cell phone pics. Last count I had three adults and about 10 juveniles.
Attached Thumbnails
Taricha Rivularis-r1.png   Taricha Rivularis-r5.png   Taricha Rivularis-r7.png   Taricha Rivularis-r8.png   Taricha Rivularis-r10.png  

Taricha Rivularis-r12.png   Taricha Rivularis-r13.png   Taricha Rivularis-r14.png  

Old 8th January 2016   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

a few more pics.
They aren't all hanging out on land, some are in the water - you can see one in the water in the previous post by the red hide.
Attached Thumbnails
Taricha Rivularis-r15.png   Taricha Rivularis-r16.png   Taricha Rivularis-r17.png  

Old 8th January 2016   #31 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Beautiful! Extremely jealous, that was one of my dream species before I learned that they wouldn't ever be for sale

Old 13th September 2016   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: BwKilcoyne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I just found out that the newts I have, which I thought were Taricha granulosa, are actually Taricha rivularis. They seem to avoid the water like the plague, aren't huge eaters (although their weight is stable), and are very shy. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the care for these newts. I had them in a mostly aquatic setup before, but moved them to a 50-50 sem-aquatic setup. They still act the same way though. Do you have any tips for me?

BwKilcoyne is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack