The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Taricha Rivularis

This is a discussion on Taricha Rivularis within the North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Just a few pics of some new additions......

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2013   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Taricha Rivularis

Just a few pics of some new additions...
Attached Thumbnails
Taricha Rivularis-006.jpg   Taricha Rivularis-010.jpg   Taricha Rivularis-rivularis-1-.jpg   Taricha Rivularis-rivularis-3-.jpg  

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sawyer has started on the right path
Default Re: Taricha Rivularis

Beautiful newts.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They look great! Any locality info on these guys?
otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2013   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I believe they only occur in one state. They were legally collected.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 16th March 2013   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

They do! I am lucky enough to be from one of the 3 counties in which they live :)
Are yours currently going through the motions of breeding or have you been able to keep them aquatic? I have 4 little Rivularis morphs that have no desire to do anything near the water.
Old 17th March 2013   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Nice Dawn! Were you lucky enough to make the trip and collect them yourself or were they sent to you?

I've really enjoyed mine- I was scared that once they morphed (mine were collected and sent to me by a friend as eggs) that they would be very shy and do poorly. While they are still not the most outgoing species I've kept many hand feed and almost all are very eager and vigorous eaters! Like Perry's though they have turned into quite the land lubber's. But from the reading ive done on them that's what I was expecting.

How long have you had yours?

Heather

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I just got mine this week. They were collected by a friend. I am hoping they'll lay- they were primed in nature and are still mating.

Old 17th March 2013   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Awesome! Make sure you have flat rocks the females can get underneath to lay. All the egg masses I've ever found in the wild have been on the undersides of rocks. Keep us updated! The larvae are amazingly hardy and easy to feed.
Old 22nd March 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: JReed has shown reliable knowledge

Great pics! I have T granulosas and T torosas but no T rivularis... I'm jealous!

Thanks for sharing.
JReed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2013   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

any updates on these guys?
Old 7th June 2013   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I am raising up a number of larvae that they laid. I hope to have a small colony. These eggs were laid bec they were wild-primed. Maybe I can get them to breed in captivity. The original wc ones are doing great!

Old 8th June 2013   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Lovely newts. Too bad these guys are native to California, or I'd have a colony of my own.
jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: redtxn has started on the right path

a bit jealous that we don't have newts around here. Would like to see some in their natural habitat.
redtxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: eMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Otterwoman,

Congrats on the breeding! How are the young faring? I'd love to keep this species someday as it's one of my favorite American newts, but have never seen it for sale and was under the impression they could not be collected legally. Any idea how your friend was able to obtain a permit?

Cheers,
Eric
eMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

The young are doing fine, all have been terrestrial for a couple of months now except for two refuse to morph and keep their gills and live in an aquatic tank still. The parents are being fridged in the hope that I can prime them to lay. I don't remember the details of my friend's collecting as it was many months ago now. I think there is a daily limit or something.

Old 14th December 2013   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

As far as CA regs go regarding collection: earlier this year T. rivularis (and several other herp species) were moved to a no-take list. Prior to 2013 the total possession limit was 4 and required a CA fishing license.

Glad to hear yours are doing well Dawn! I would love to see pictures of them and their enclosure if you have any. The breeding season is typically february-may, sometimes earlier if we get a warm winter. We've had a major cold spell here in Northern CA, it will be interesting to see how they respond to it come Spring.
Old 14th December 2013   #17 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes, native to California, I wish they lived where I am, but there is T. Granulosa here so that is great too. Heh heh, it looks like in the first pic that is a male amplexing a male "Hey buddy! Get off me! .

-Seth
Old 14th December 2013   #18 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Their set up is a 40 long with a water part along the back, long and thin instead of the way I usually divide my tanks, to simulate a river more than a pond, but right now they are in the fridge. I'll take pics later if I remember, I'm having company today,.

Old 14th December 2013   #19 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

OK, as long as I'm up:

The soil is dry right now as the sals are not in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Taricha Rivularis-001.jpgsn.jpg  

Old 14th December 2013   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: eMax is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing otterwoman! I hope we can see some photo updates as they get older.

Thanks for that updated information Perry! Any idea why this species was added to the no-take list this year?
eMax is offline   Reply With Quote