The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

"Clemson" variant of Plethodon metcalfi

This is a discussion on "Clemson" variant of Plethodon metcalfi within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was curious if anyone has come across these recently? I can only seem to find old references to them ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: matamander has shown reliable knowledge
Default "Clemson" variant of Plethodon metcalfi

I was curious if anyone has come across these recently? I can only seem to find old references to them and I thought I remembered reading somewhere that a decent chunk of their range was flooded to build a dam or lake front property. Does anyone find these anymore?

Here are some examples:
Click the image to open in full size.
page: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Plethodon metcalfi

matamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2014   #2 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: "Clemson" variant of Plethodon metcalfi

I found one with heavy brassy flecking just north of there in NC back in 2008. Jeff Humphries' photo is probably fairly recent.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: matamander has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: "Clemson" variant of Plethodon metcalfi

Thanks Tim. I'm glad to hear they're still out there. I was just curious since I only saw mention of them in old references and I had to scour the Internet to find those 2 photos. Here's to hoping to see some in 2015!

matamander is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack