The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Anyone keep Eurycea bislineata?

This is a discussion on Anyone keep Eurycea bislineata? within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Well, my subject line pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if anyone even keeps these. I posted a picture ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2007   #1 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well, my subject line pretty much says it all. I'm wondering if anyone even keeps these. I posted a picture on the Pictures subforum of one as a mystery salamander that someone gave me.

Old 25th January 2007   #2 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have their very close cousins. The female is full of eggs right now. They are almost identical salamanders. Eurycea cirrigera. The Southern Two-Lined Salamanders.

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00410.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00353.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00352.jpg[/IMG]

Old 25th January 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: erwin has started on the right path

I have a group of ten animals.

erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007   #4 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice pictures! Yeah, that looks exactly like Mystrey (that's what I named it since I didn't know what it was)!
Wiggly little guys, aren't they? What kind of a set up do you have? I keep mine in a tank with a marbled salamander; they never interact. Part of the tank is wetter than the rest. It always just stays under one of the moist rocks, or sometimes it goes in a small bowl in which I keep blackworms. That's probably all it eats, though I sometimes let some crickets and flightless fruit flies loose in there. It looks like you have some ground ivy growing in there? My tank doesn't get enough light to support plants. I figure those salamanders don't much care for light anyway. To be honest, though it's not any trouble, it's about as fulfilling keeping it as keeping a hermit crab; the only time I ever see it move is when I check to make sure it's alive, and then I have to hunt around the tank for it.

Old 25th January 2007   #5 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They are tamed easily and learn to beg for food. I absolutely loving feeding them underwater. They strike at tubifex worms viciously off the enforcers. I feed them baby earthworms, tubifex worms, and termites in which they strike their tongues' at. Be warned they can be professional escape artist. Blackworms and fruit flies will do fine. One of my females died mysteriously while she was full of eggs. (about three days ago) My other female has eggs too and I have two other males. They like moving water but need a land area with a place to hide under.they are usually hiding alot and some are more aquatic than others. Even though yours is the Northern Two-Lined they are pretty much the same when it comes to attitude and likings. I don't have a pic of the tank right now but can show you later.

Will get a photo soon.

Cheers

Old 25th January 2007   #6 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Also the pics of it in the photo gallery are very specific. I am very sure that your "Mystery" is a boy.

Old 26th January 2007   #7 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Heres some pics. The one of the container is sort of bad though. The female is on the sand. The male in the water.

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00566.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00555.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00562.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...m/DVC00561.jpg[/IMG]

Old 27th January 2007   #8 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, Mystrey looks almost exactly like them. I like your set up. I'm going to be moving him to another tank soon because I'm getting some other salamanders. I've never seen them in the wild, so I wouldn't be able to get him a companion. I'm also curious what makes you think it's a male?

Old 27th January 2007   #9 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, Mystrey looks almost exactly like them. I like your set up. I'm going to be moving him to another tank soon because I'm getting some other salamanders. I've never seen them in the wild, so I wouldn't be able to get him a companion. I'm also curious what makes you think it's a male?

Old 27th January 2007   #10 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well...his head shape. Males have much broader heads. They have bigger jaw muscles too.

Also during breeding season They have nasolabial grooves drooping down over the nostrils. The front teeth grow big and cut through the lower mouth and you can feel them alot of the time.

Old 27th January 2007   #11 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

http://www.freewebs.com/slimysalaman...ntwolineds.htm

Old 28th January 2007   #12 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That is so cute, the little vampire newt.
I don't know why that last post of mine appeared twice. I only typed it once.

Old 28th January 2007   #13 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Maybe just an error or the post button was pressed twice.

Mine still have the grooves so if yours does it is a definate male but even if it doesn't it may still be a male.

(Message edited by slimy on January 28, 2007)

Old 28th January 2007   #14 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think since he just morphed this year he might be too young to develop any sexual characteristics like that. Maybe next year, though. I put some more pics up of him on the other thread in the pictures subforum.

Old 29th January 2007   #15 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The pictures were most helpful. Congrats on your newly identified Northern Two-Lined Salamander.

Cheers!

Old 29th January 2007   #16 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

By the way if you have not already seen it here is a link to the species account.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Eu...rycea_sp.shtml

Old 29th January 2007   #17 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks, I hadn't thought of looking for the species account on this one, though I've read all the accounts on the other species I have! I hope he'll like the celibate life because I don't see any companions in his future. Maybe I'll change his name from Mystrey to Ministry and he can become a priest.

Old 29th January 2007   #18 (permalink)
cameron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Now all he needs is a toy church to hide in. You'll always know where he is now. Inside the toy church praying that you won't pick him up again any time soon.Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers!

Old 30th January 2007   #19 (permalink)
dawn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hee hee, you're as funny as I am!Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
bislineata, eurycea

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 23 (Set)

Antony Rossi, Azhael, catfish dude, Cclock12, cmoore11, cschilling80, dandy9, Evilpacker, FredLikesNewts, Greewok, Herb, Ignaz, John Nellen, KennyDB, KiwiPhotography, kumba830, Nomadofthehills, perche, Risigan, Rojo, sirus14, VirgiChris, walte230
LinkBack