The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Desmognathus monticola found in Arkansas!

This is a discussion on Desmognathus monticola found in Arkansas! within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Looks like a relict population of Desmognathus monticola has been found east of the Mississippi...in extreme northwestern Arkansas. The former ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2006   #1 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Looks like a relict population of Desmognathus monticola has been found east of the Mississippi...in extreme northwestern Arkansas. The former westernmost locality was Alabama!

For all you Plethodontid-heads, no need to explain how mind-boggling this is.

Check out this thread:
http://www.snakesofarkansas.com/foru...hp?p=4733#4733

Old 26th March 2006   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow that is a pretty amazing range extension.

Ed

Old 26th March 2006   #3 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I herped that area a lot too back in the 80's and never saw one, really strange. I'd have to set in the "introduced" crowd for now, but I would like to here about the old original report from the 30's. Look at how P.neomexicanus was originally treated and ignored.

Old 27th March 2006   #4 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yeah, considering how much cryptic speciation has occured within the various Desmognathus groups (fuscus complex, ochrophaeus complex, quadramaculatus complex, etc.) since the last time the population of monticola in AR would have been joined with the populations from Appalachia, it seems impossible to me that even if they were not introduced, they would fall out genetically with other monticola so neatly and nicely. But, I guess I'll suspend judgement until I read the author's hypothesis about all of this

Old 13th April 2006   #5 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Update here: talked to Arkansas' State herpetologist Kelly Irwin today. He informs me that this population was confirmed to be genetically related to monticola from Georgia and almost certainly represent introduced animals.

I've seen photos of the animals, and they sure don't look like any monticola I've ever seen. Pretty interesting. Just goes to show how hard it is to correctly identify some monticola/fuscus/conanti/santeetlah/auriculatus with just color patterns.

Old 14th April 2006   #6 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

IDing Desmogs gives me a migraine!

Tags
arkansas, desmognathus, found, monticola

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 9 (Set)

Aneides, FrogEyes, Greewok, John, JWilliams, Sith the turtle, svenh, taherman, Yahilles
LinkBack