The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pics of Yellow-Eyed Ensatinas (and my Roughy)

This is a discussion on Pics of Yellow-Eyed Ensatinas (and my Roughy) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Think I finally got the pictures to work... (Message edited by abiyoyo on January 25, 2006)...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th January 2006   #1 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Think I finally got the pictures to work...

(Message edited by abiyoyo on January 25, 2006)

Old 25th January 2006   #2 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Click the image to open in full size.

Note: The roughskin newt looks smaller only because it is in the background a bit...it is actually a bit bigger than the ensatina whose color mimics it for protection.

P.S. Of course I have them in different habitats.

Old 25th January 2006   #3 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

And the ensatinas...

Old 25th January 2006   #4 (permalink)
kieron

Gallery Images:
Comments:

cool newts Click the image to open in full size. u got a pic of the set-up lol Click the image to open in full size.

Old 30th January 2006   #5 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Update:
Now that I've had the ensatinas for a couple weeks, boy I gotta tell you, it sure is more fun keeping newts over sallies. You need night-vision goggles to ever see these ensatinas (same would apply for arboreals), for that's the only time they ever come out is in the nocturne. Invisible pets, that's what these are...these pics you see above, that's the only time these guys've ever even seen the light of day...

Old 30th January 2006   #6 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Actually after they become habituated a lot of Enatina and Aneides become quite active at dawn and dusk. I see mine a lot.

(Message edited by Rust on January 30, 2006)

Old 30th January 2006   #7 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks, Russ. Gives me hope. For awhile there I thought I might as well be keeping caecilians or a burrowing lizard.
I'll keep checking on them during that time.

Old 7th February 2006   #8 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Interesting. Something I didn't expect about these ensatinas. Now that I've watched their behavior more, I must say they are a lot more lethargic than I expected--moreso than, say, arboreal salamanders which I've also observed.

Old 8th February 2006   #9 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They're definitely "set and wait" type predators.

Old 8th February 2006   #10 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

My ensatinas are most active when the temperature is in the mid 50's to lower 60's. They become very lethargic above 68 and below 45.

Old 10th March 2006   #11 (permalink)
josh

Gallery Images:
Comments:

wow, i have forgotten how beautiful yellow eyed ensatina are! i used to catch them as a kid all the time when i lived in the bay area. im thinking about getting a group of them next year. we'll see. nice albino lugie russ!

Old 13th March 2006   #12 (permalink)
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

This is just a question from an east coaster. Is it legal to sell ensatinas? They are one of my dream salamanders, for me they are one of the pinnacles of North American amphibs. Just wondering, Alex.

Old 13th March 2006   #13 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Only from Oregon, and the seller has to get a permit.

Old 13th March 2006   #14 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I have since found one more, this time male (the two pics here are females), and this male is more pale and the eyes are darker, so it might be a different subspecies--perhaps a monterey ensatina?

Yes, they are beautiful, I agree.
However, I still haven't seen them eat. They never come out, except the wee hours of the morning, and even then they move sloooooowly. I currently have them outside, for a cooler temp, but inside or out, they are very, very slow--not like Arboreals.
The crickets I put in disappear, but for all I know, aliens might be abducting them.

(Message edited by todas_abiyoyo on March 13, 2006)

Old 13th March 2006   #15 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

They can vary in color or shade within the same subspecies. They can also change color and shade, sometimes quite dramatically. I've seen this in all the subspecies except klauberi.

Tags
(and, ensatinas, pics, roughy), yelloweyed

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 17 (Set)

Aneides, CaesarsAnimals, ckurtt, Fig Newton, Jan, lnusbaum, MarioR, Reeves, sirus14, Sith the turtle, skyler, stanleyc, svenh, tommyd, VirgiChris, yama, yellowman4005
LinkBack