The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Bat guano beats burgers for blind salamanders

This is a discussion on Bat guano beats burgers for blind salamanders within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; check out this link for some interesting behaviors of Eurycea spelaeus http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0511.../051114-9.html Ed...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2005   #1 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

check out this link for some interesting behaviors of Eurycea spelaeus

http://www.nature.com/news/2005/0511.../051114-9.html

Ed

Old 17th November 2005   #2 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hmmm, i've never witnessed salamanders regurgitating on capture before. I wonder if this is typical of this species only.

Old 17th November 2005   #3 (permalink)
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

one of my triturus marmoratus did when i picked it up after feeding it...

Old 17th November 2005   #4 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Funny, I've picked up quite a few adult speleaus and never noticed one regurge, but it's a very interesting find.

Old 18th November 2005   #5 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

It may depend on how recently the caudate has eaten as well as how much it has eaten and how much it was handled.
I have had a wide variety of caudates puke on me over the years after capture. Some of the salamanders were collected for measurements and puked during measuring etc and some regurged in the bag before measuring or after measuring but before release.

Ed

Old 19th November 2005   #6 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Bat guano. That's amazing.

Old 20th November 2005   #7 (permalink)
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What surprises me is that the salamanders can tolerate the high levels of ammonia in the guano caves.

Old 21st November 2005   #8 (permalink)
danté

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Dear Caudata.org,

I'm glad to see the study being discussed here. First, I'd like to post a note as to why we used the name Eurycea spelaea - (=Typhlotriton) (Typhlotriton was sunk into Eurycea by Bonett and Chippindale, 2004 and subsequently gender corrected on Amphibian species of the world online - to E. spelaea)(see http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/index.php).

Interesting comments on regurgitation in Eurycea spelaea. We only observed larvae doing this and not all larvae. Many observations involved the salamanders actually eating guano (with it in their mouths) when captured. I have mainly seen regurgitation in larval salamanders but have observed it from time to time in adults. (e.g., Once I saw an adult Dicamptodon ensatus regurgitate a mole cricket after capture).
I'm sure the factors listed by Ed, "how recently the caudate has eaten as well as how much it has eaten and how much it was handled" are absolutely valid. We captured individuals and placed them into plastic bags on the way into the cave, marking them and recording morphometrics on the way back out. In as much, they had plenty of time to regurgitate. Once we knew what we were looking for, we were able to do focal observations in shallow areas and actually observed salamanders eating guano off of the waters' surface.

Glad you guys are enjoying the story!
Cheers,
Dante

Tags
bat, beats, blind, burgers, guano, salamanders

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 14 (Set)

Antony Rossi, azn567, Greewok, hazelceleste, JohanM, josh, kimbo, Msteffen, Nathan050793, Risigan, sirus14, Sith the turtle, usafaux2004
LinkBack