The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A surprise!!

This is a discussion on A surprise!! within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; for those who dont know i am currently moving, soon all my animals and i will be together in the ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2005   #1 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

for those who dont know i am currently moving, soon all my animals and i will be together in the same place. recently it has been cool here so i turned off the a/c and opened the windows slightly at the old place. lights are not on timers anymore and the arboreal set up is not getting as watered as much as before-i went to go move them yesterday so moved the tank off its rack and checked on the male and female by moving their logs- the female was back under her main log and had 2 eggs near her head, i found the male under a different log. i thought this may have been a fluke of left over eggs triggered by the changes recently, but i had the tank in the hallway for a while while unloading others and i noticed her tail sticking out upside down! i havent moved their tank yet (except back into the locked room) and i hope the car ride wont shake down the new eggs, i will check how many she now has though just out of interest.

Old 14th October 2005   #2 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Interesting, another fall deposit. I wonder if the can double clutch with increased nutrition? I'll have to watch mine, though I have seen it in past seasons.

Old 15th October 2005   #3 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

checked on her yesterday am and she was still laying! i ended up knocking her off since i didnt think she would still be doing it 24 hours later-i saw a whole new clutch about an inch from the first 2 eggs she laid, it may be my perception but the do look slightly smaller than before-then again that may be because they are newly laid....

Old 15th October 2005   #4 (permalink)
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I guess I am not the only one with a summer/fall clutch. Great news Paris. My eggs are still progressing nicely, looks like at least 15-20.

Old 16th October 2005   #5 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

the odd thing is that this is my only breeding couple-and she laid about 5 months ago! before it was a 2 year gap between clutches and now she does it in less than 1/2 a year....

Old 17th October 2005   #6 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You've been feeding her well!!! Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th October 2005   #7 (permalink)
william

Gallery Images:
Comments:

congrats Paris!

Old 27th October 2005   #8 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

here are some pictures i took today from the clutch-much smaller now...
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 27th October 2005   #9 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

oh yeah, worth noting, again the male and female are shacked up together in the nesting area, they do not normally stay under the same hide together and when she laid the eggs she was alone.

Old 19th November 2005   #10 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Any updates? I keep checking my large female, she's full of ova, but that's normal this time of year for a spring deposit.

Old 20th November 2005   #11 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

eggs are toast.....dont seem to have been fertilized-no development seen and they just faded away and molded....

Old 20th November 2005   #12 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Too bad. Did the female stay with them long?

Old 21st November 2005   #13 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

both stayed with them the whole time-but she ceased eating the bad ones a while back-i removed them now

Old 21st November 2005   #14 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Ah, too bad, but at this rate maybe you'll be getting another clutch by spring! Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surprise

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 11 (Set)

bandi, instanbull, Jari B, kumba830, neonsal, oregon newt, Sith the turtle, skyler, stanleyc, warrior, Yahilles
LinkBack