The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Slender salamanders (Batrachoseps)

This is a discussion on Slender salamanders (Batrachoseps) within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I spent a couple of hours in the Monterey area looking for salamanders and came across these. They were easy ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2004   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I spent a couple of hours in the Monterey area looking for salamanders and came across these. They were easy to find in damp locations under logs.

Click the image to open in full size.

There seemed to be at least two variations:

(Message edited by TJ on May 07, 2004)

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2004   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm told that only B. luciae is known to occur in the Monterey area so I'm assuming that's what they are. They were found under pretty much any log heavy enough to retain some moisture underneath, such as this one under the tree:

I found that the conscientious way to search for them in a dry environment like that of central-southern California is not to just kick the log over and leave it there or to restore it haphazardly, but to, as best you can, put it back in the same way it was before being disturbed so that the microhabit doesn't dry out. This generally entails removing the sals while the log is being reset and then finding a space for them to slip under again Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th May 2004   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Here's a cute lil fella that was small enough to fit into my wife's wedding ring (and she's got very small fingers):

Old 11th May 2004   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Another habitat pic:

The area was generally very dry, though there was a small creek:

Try as I might, I failed to find any Taricha or other sal species Click the image to open in full size.

Old 22nd October 2005   #5 (permalink)
david

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Those are everywhere in Sonoma and Napa Counties as well. And I do mean everywhere. Everywhere that looks anything like the habitat pics you've provided, and there's plenty of that up here.

Tags
(batrachoseps), salamanders, slender

LinkBack