The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A.lugubris breeding club

This is a discussion on A.lugubris breeding club within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; After 7 years of infertile eggs with A.vagrans... I am finally ready to join the A.lugubris breeding club,at least I ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2005   #1 (permalink)
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

After 7 years of infertile eggs with A.vagrans...

I am finally ready to join the A.lugubris breeding club,at least I think I am. The eggs look fertile and healthy, my fingers are crossed. My girl seems to be pretty late compared to Russ and Paris' animals.

I only took one pic..didn't want to disturb her too much.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th September 2005   #2 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

yea erik! your membership badge and pledge book will arrive in the mail soon.....Click the image to open in full size. how many eggs does she have?

Old 15th September 2005   #3 (permalink)
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I didn't count, but it was a lot more than I have ever seen with A.vagrans. My vagrans always lay 10-15 so this female must have laid at least 20.

This really is an ideal Plethodontid for people to keep. They are very adaptable to temperatures and humidity and might be one of the few Plethodontids that could be sustained as a captive born population.

Old 15th September 2005   #4 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Awesome, the fraternity is growing. Wow, all of my Aneides have been April/May. Great, now I have to start paying closer attention this time of year??

My vagrans laid over 20+ this year, and a flav had ~12, but they were all either infertile or I just ruined them (separation?).

I have to agree about lugubris. With their size and adaptability they make excellent captive. Hopefully the dispersal of captives will help establish these firmly in the community. I'm looking forward to producing my first F2s in ~2007.

Keep us posted.

Old 15th September 2005   #5 (permalink)
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

F2's would be awesome. I wasn't expecting eggs this time of year. A lot of my female Aneides, Ensatinas and Desmognathus yolked up this spring, but this was the only one that did anything. I'm building a new salamander room so hopefully next year I'll do better.

Old 16th September 2005   #6 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Congrats Erik! I agree with everyone here, very weird timing for the eggs. Hope all goes well with the hatching.

Tags
alugubris, breeding, club

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 21 (Set)

azeam, Badmungo, End, janno, KennyDB, Lamb, markreid, meleon, MikeM, mikev, mmfh, potogold71, Pulk, skyler, taherman, tristan 92, Warren Spencer, warrior, Yahilles, yellowman4005
LinkBack