The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudotriton Ruber Question

This is a discussion on Pseudotriton Ruber Question within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Does anyone keep red salamanders? Right now i'm just gathering information. I know Glade Herp had them in stock for ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th October 2004   #1 (permalink)
alex

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Does anyone keep red salamanders? Right now i'm just gathering information. I know Glade Herp had them in stock for a while. I've read a lot of conflicting care requirements. Any info would be helpful.
Just wondering,
Alex

Old 11th October 2004   #2 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Alex, there are several people who have kept red salamanders here, including myself. I'm not keeping any at the moment...

I kept mine (2 P. r. ruber and 1 P. r. schencki) totally aquatic, as they did not seem to use land areas. Temps were in the lows 60s F. They readily fed on chopped nightcrawlers and waxworms. Anything more specific than this you'd like to know?

Old 11th October 2004   #3 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi Alex,
I kept them for a number of years at work and kept them in everything from deep water tanks to stream systems to shoe boxes with paper towels. I fed them mainly crickets though. The temp range I kept them at ranged between @55 F to 72 F.

Ed

Tags
pseudotriton, question, ruber

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd September 2017, 08:18 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack